1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Forgecraft Hi-Carbon Reduex

Discussion in 'JapaneseKnifeSharpening / Dave Martell Knives' started by Dave Martell, May 18, 2015.

1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

Dave ecchef wanted to spruce up his vintage Forgecraft Hi-Carbon Chef's knife. He sent me a killer "live ended" wa handle to install. The Forgie's tang was very wide so I first reduced it's width and then shaped it into a hidden tang with a shoulder then reshaped and smoothed the choil.

This knife was slightly thick along the bevel, most thickness seen in the curve up to the tip. The knife was also kind of ugly and well worn. I took it upon myself to thin the large bevel to make it even along it's length and then I refinished the factory Forgecraft look of the top half of the blade.

I think this came out pretty nice in looks but I KNOW that it's going to perform crazy good so I'm happy for once.

Thanks for letting me play with your knife Dave. [​IMG]

Forgecraft HC1.jpg Forgecraft HC2.jpg Forgecraft HC3.jpg JapaneseKnifeSharpening Forgecraft 23.JPG JapaneseKnifeSharpening Forgecraft 34.JPG

2. That looks incredible Dave!

I've always been hesitant to do a live edge handle like that...but you pulled it off wonderfully.

3. Nice work Dave! That looks incredible!
    How did you refinish the top half of the blade?

4. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Wow, did you etch the top?

Really nice work!

5. Dave Martell

I'd love to take credit for the handle but it wasn't done by me, I just installed it. This is a Mikey Riggen handle.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  6. Dave Martell

I blued the top half.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

7. Dave Martell

Thank you

8. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Awesome job, Dave, well done!!! :cool:

9. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

outstanding!

10. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

stunning. The handle is a perfect compliment to the work you did Dave. I think I'll have to put my Forgie to belts when in comes home.

11. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Had to laugh when I looked at this thread. I've been eyeballling this combo for the past couple weeks.

Forgie.jpg

Thanks for giving me a preview of what it would look like, Dave! (It would look pretty darn good...)

12. Dave Martell

Go for it Mike!

13. Dave Martell

No way, you're literally looking at the same thing, LOL

14. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Dave
    I wonder when I see Forgys turned into wa handle. the center of the tang has holes in it and I wonder if you fill those in, or just be careful when narrowing the tang to not get too close. what concerns would I have in making the change?

15. Dave Martell

Very astute observation! You're correct, the holes do become off centered when making the conversion. What I did was just like you described in that I was careful to not blow them out. On this particular knife I shortened the tang enough that the rear holes were removed so no big deal there but on another Forgie I just did (same owner) this conversion to the holes were VERY close to the edge and I had to be EXTRA careful in shaping the tang. I don't think that it's be a big deal even if they did get blown out though, I just didn't want to do that for my own mental well being. :)

16. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Thank's Dave
    Don't know if you'd be divulging any trade secrets, but I would mind seeing the tang work:D:D