1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

For the bakers amongst us!

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by PierreRodrigue, Feb 17, 2014.

1. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

That is terrible... If there were real bakeries close to me I would miss fresh baked bread less alas, I'm in the suburbs and all the bakeries are either Panera or a super market. Just not even close.

2. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Gotta figure out how to attach photos, but here's our everyday bread and rolls, buttermilk biscuits, and PIZZA!

Bread.jpg
    Stew3.jpg
    ThanksgivingPie.jpg

3. PierreRodrigue

PierreRodrigue Tactical Walrus Founding Member

For desert tonight... Decided to make some traditional strawberry shortcakes. Sliced strawberries in a light sugar syrup, whipped cream, and shaved some milk, and 80% cacao chocolate, icing sugar dusting.
    [​IMG]

4. beginish

beginish Silver Contributor Founding Member

Holy cow, those look great.

5. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

[​IMG]

Guys these breads has grow in strange way in my oven. It's like growing most in the middle. What can be the reason?

[​IMG]

6. beginish

Could the seam of the loaf be on top, rather than at the bottom of the pan?

7. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

8. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

BTW--those are some dirty pictures, Pierre. My butt got bigger just looking at them.

9. PierreRodrigue

Well, I could lie, and say they didn't taste as good as the look, but that would be a lie.

I used a traditional recipe for the short cakes (early 1900's). It wasn't as tender as I would have liked. Not sure if I over worked it, or this is the way it is supposed to be. Not a total fan of the cake based short cakes. This is the first time with this recipe. The hunt continues!

Any tips or recipes appreciated!

10. John Fout

Underproofed. Let them rise more before baking. Also scoring the tops will help. The tool is called a nape but it is just a bent double edged razor blade on a wooden coffee stir stick... Also your oven does not heat evenly. The hottest spot is the middle hence your middle loaf being bigger and darker. Some people go to great lengths to overcome that with ceramic tiles on most of the sides of the oven. A big cermic tile underneath your bread would be beneficial.

11. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

12. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

Nice loafs Bieniek. They must be damnnnn good:D

13. beginish

Beautiful! Sourdough?

14. Andre

Andre Founding Member

I'm ready for work to slow down so I can get back on learning to bake. My partner has a couple of breads she is good at, I have a couple I can do, and we can both make biscuits, but we both want to get better. Much steeper learning curve than cooking

15. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Thank you

Yes indeed. Plain white + pumpkin seeds

16. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

My first baguetes:D:D

[​IMG]

17. PierreRodrigue

Nice, looks like you had some oven spring. I find the timing tough to nail, to have the dough hit the hot stone, just as the rise peaks.

18. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

Can you tell me what you mean by oven spring?

19. John Fout

Oven Spring is putting the item into the oven with the heat either too low or too high after opening the door. The oven gets too hot trying to catch back up and overheats the dough for a few minutes. Some recipes you can anticipate it or even call for it.

It looks more like you need to let rise a few more minutes or an air pocket didn't get knocked out when rolling them.

20. PierreRodrigue

Oven spring, as I read it in Peter Reinharts book, is the gain in loft the loaf gets, as the gas pockets expand, and steam pressure expands the crumb structure of the bread. It's what gives a loaf that lightness (as opposed to dense) and the reason you cut slits in the loaf to control expansion.

Definition:
    The sudden increases in the volume of a dough during the first 10–12 minutes of baking, due to increased rate of fermentation and expansion of gases.