1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

For Sale - Rustic Nakiri - 52100

Discussion in 'JapaneseKnifeSharpening / Dave Martell Knives' started by Dave Martell, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

180mm Rustic Nakiri - 52100 - Professional

P1010001.JPG

"I feel that this nakiri will be the best performer...that I've made to date

• Model - Nakiri
      • Blade Length - 180mm
      • Steel - 52100 (high carbon ball bearing steel)
      • Blade Finish - Rustic Mustard Patina
      • Hardness - Rc 62-63 (with cryo)
      • Height (at heel) - 58mm
      • Weight - 7.6oz (215.5g)
      • Handle Style - Wa Octagonal with rounded butt
      • Handle Materials - African Blackwood with blond marbled buffalo horn ferrule & end cap

This nakiri has been made completely different than any I've done before!

For starters, the blade was ground horizontally/lengthwise for it's distal taper and then also for the large bevel.

Second, the (large) bevel was finished ground in by hand down to the thinnest edge that I've ever produced on one of my knives. Don't let the width of the shiny edge bevel fool you, that's just a result of a thin blade being rubbed smooth from the finishing strop, if that step wasn't done you'd barely see any edge bevel on this one. I feel that this nakiri will be the best performer (in cutting) that I've made to date as a result of this step.

Third, the blade's surface has been treated to a mustard patina but it was then ground away on the large bevel to create a "rustic" Japanese appearance. I really like this and will do it again for sure but still the result here is a unique one of a kind look that only this knife will have.

The blade is made from cryo treated 52100 (high carbon ball bearing steel) hardened to Rc62-63, it's tough yet easy to sharpen.

Unlike most nakiris you'll find, I make mine with a tip that can be used for scoring onions, etc, however the tip is still upswept and out of the way.

The wa octagonal handle is made from African Blackwood paired with blond marbled buffalo horn on both ends. The butt cap is rounded. This handle was designed to go with the rustic look and feel of the knife.

The handle has been sealed with several coats of a varnish/oil finish.

*Please see close up pictures for details.

Shipping FREE for USA

International Shipping will be charged $35 flat fee - A Paypal invoice will be sent after checkout

If interested in purchasing you can either checkout HERE or send me a PM with your email address and (if international) your location, I'll follow by sending you a Paypal invoice.

Thanks,
    Dave

P1010001.JPG P1010004.JPG P1010005.JPG P1010010.JPG P1010013.JPG P1010014.JPG P1010020.JPG P1010022.JPG P1010033.JPG

2. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Very nice!

3. Dave Martell

4. Dave Martell

5. Dave Martell

6. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

About time! Absolutely beautiful piece. I think the new owner is going to be VERY happy.

7. Dave Martell

You're too kind.