1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

For Sale - Martell Wa Nakiri in CPM154

Discussion in 'JapaneseKnifeSharpening / Dave Martell Knives' started by Dave Martell, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

For Sale - Martell 180mm Wa Nakiri

This is only the second octagonal handle I've made to completion but it's the first for a Martell knife. I actually started construction of this handle a long time ago but put it aside as I was nervous about being able to shape it as I wanted to. I always knew that I could cut the angles in correctly but I wanted to also taper the handle in all directions/facets (as I like this over the typical broom stick block look) and this was what stopped me from trying. Well, I finally said what the hell and dove in and tried it "free hand" (vs using a table/disc sander for the angles) working on my belt sander and then finished by hand sanding on a reference plate. The result is nearly perfect flat mirror like bevels with (as planned) tapers in all directions. To say that I'm pleased with the results would be an understatement! I see more of these in my future. [​IMG]

The wood used for the handle is presentation grade Hawaiian Mango. I'm usually not a fan of using mango because most of what I've got in the past has been punky soft but this block was the opposite - hard/dense/stable and was a joy to work with.

The blade has been ground convex yet is very thin above the edge to the mid-point, it should cut great. The profile has plenty of height for proper knuckle clearance. The steel used is CPM-154, a powdered stainless steel, that is very tough providing great edge retention, and ease of sharpening.

This nakiri will surely put a smile on your face. [​IMG]

Stats...

Model - Nakiri

Blade Length - 180mm

Steel - CPM-154 (powdered stainless steel)

Hardness - Rc 61-62 (with cryo)

Height (at heel) - 58mm

Handle - Wa (octagonal)

Handle Materials - Presentation grade Hawaiian Mango & streaked buffalo horn spacer

Price - $575

Shipping - Included in USA/International - will split cost with buyer

Please contact through PM or email if interested in purchasing.

Thanks,
    Dave

P1010002.JPG P1010005.JPG P1010006.JPG P1010008.JPG P1010013.JPG P1010015.JPG P1010020.JPG P1010021.JPG P1010023.JPG

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  2. Dave Martell

3. Dave Martell

4. Dave Martell

5. Dave Martell

6. Thank god for that... I have no use for a nakiri but your knives are on my list and that wa handle was singing to me....

You are hear by banned from making wa's again.

7. Dave Martell