1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Food Mill Question

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by James, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

You mean one of these right James?

[​IMG]

2. Wagner the Wehrwolf

If so, you don't need to pony up for a Roslé ( and I love their stuff). You won't use it often enough to justify the expense. I went All Clad because I specifically wanted stainless steel that was dishwasher safe

Try an Oxo or an RSVP and see if you even like the contraption. My only real complaint is the awkward shape takes up a lot of space in my cabinet.

3. Wagner the Wehrwolf

One more comment, in Alton Brown parlance, a food processor is a multitasker. Yes, you can chop and purée. You can also shred, grate, make mayonnaise, pie dough, etc, even grind meat or make small batches of sausage. I can't imagine making 10+ pounds of Cole slaw without a RoboCoup.

A food mill on the other hand is a unitasker. Sure you can use it to make squash soup or peel and seed tomatoes or blackberries. But in all cases you are pressing a soft food through a sieve with a sweeping arm. Now unlike a ricer which is strictly a press, with a food mill you get pressing plus shearing. The result is a much different texture , noticible in soups.

I have a ricer too. I only use it for mashed potatoes and hash browns.

HTH

4. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

Ive read lots of complaints on the oxo for not having the blades close enough to the sides so the food can creep up needing it to be pushed back down quite a bit in use, its kept me from looking at that one

5. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Ahhhh...well I don't actually know much about the model, just saying you don't have to spend $250+. That's all. :like

6. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

oh I dont want to spend that lol... the closest in quality and function is the cuispro but its still up there at 130, but I havent heard about the rsvp one

7. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

If you don't mind a used one you could check ebay. There are a lot of "used once" food mills for decent prices. I think the RSVP is the same as the Moulinex, which has gotten pretty good reviews.

My Oxo doesn't have things squeeze up the sides, but you do end up with a layer of skins/seeds/pulp that is below the blade. When that happens you just spin in the reverse direction until it's scraped up then turn in the "squeeze" direction again. Don't know how it compares to other food mills, but it is possible to get most of the pulp out of what you're working with if you have a little patience. Other mills might be more efficient--this is the only one I've used.

8. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

I knew I had them somewhere.
    Found em in the garage. Dirty from storage for the last couple years but these 2 are by Foley.

Stainless steal don't stain? Kind of looks purple to me from all the grapes ran through it over the years. These have to be at least half my age. 15+ years.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444928886.515542.jpg

9. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

I've heard nothing but good things about the older Foley food mills. A lot of the really old ones are tin plated instead of stainless.

10. butch

butch Founding Member

used a victorio food mill to make apple saue and it was great we are lookig at one that is built better tho as this one was on loan from friends of ours still not sure how it will do on mators but was clutch to have for apples and im sure tators wodul be fantastic

11. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Don't you have to clamp the victorios onto your work surface? Is it hard to get a good grip? My countertops don't extend very far beyond the cabinet--maybe an inch, inch and a half.