1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Food Mill Question

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by James, Sep 10, 2015.

1. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

I have looked into food processors for years but have never pulled the trigger on one as they always seemed to be over kill for my needs, then while watching a cooking video i saw someone use a food mill, never looked into one before but they seem perfect for my needs, even have a few advantages over FP's since they clean up easier as well as separate out seeds and skins from food. but as i said, I've never looked into them... anyone own/use one, are they a good thing for all kitchens to have ? and any brands i should look at or stay away from ?

2. I'm in for this discussion. Food processors in general make me cringe because of the cleanup involved. Easier cleanup is definitely a perk.

3. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

I had to google what that was.

Then I said "ohhhh that's what it is!".

I never used one but I remember my mom using one when making grape jam/jelly.

4. James

tomato sauce, mashed potatoes, are the two big reasons i an looking into it, but fresh made apple sauce... that's a peal n' too

5. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

Used them a lot and been meaning to pick one up myself. I love them for soups and sauces and they will do amazing on baked potato for gnocchi. It all depends on what you want it for they are only usable on soft foods but do a great job IMHO.

6. James

the Rosle is supposed to be the Cadillac of them but at 270 Canadian at the moment i was leaning towards the 130 dollar cuispro but there are lots and lots out there so i thought I'd let some people chime in.... btw the usd on those seem to be a lot less then or prices here

7. butch

butch Founding Member

we have a hand crank mill but last 3 years we have cored and peeled all the apples or skinned the roma tomoats (light corig of them) then part cooked and used a crappy margritia maker/ blender. feed part cooked chunks in the top and blend till about right then pour out the bottome spout adding more as you got (almost continuous fed system) if the hopper was taller it woudl be then we finish cooking and can. so far we have done 60lb of mators and not sure how many more wel will get from the 3 plants. as for the apples time will tell how many Qts we will can

8. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

I haven't used a food mill....but have been interested in borrowing one :)

I don't understand the complaint about food processor clean-up....just throw that stuff in the dishwasher, done. even when I clean mine by hand, it only takes 2-4 minutes.

9. My dishwasher must suck. I find pieced of food lodged here and there every time, particularly on the blades etc.

It doesn't help that I'd rather throw dishes away and buy new than wash them either I suppose, lol.

10. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

The big difference I find with tomatos through the food mill rather than a processor is the colour retention, A food processor will introduce a lot of air into them making your sauce more pink than red. Not so much a worry for most home cook however.

11. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

I rarely use my food processor. I would use a nice blender...

I was given a food mill as a present years ago. I don't know how much it cost. I don't remember the brand... I can take the thing apart and it has three different sized sieves to push the food through. Its handy but I think I would rather use a $40US Cuisinart immersion blender and have a couple different mesh strainers in different sizes.

I've been spoiled by having either a Vitamix or a large RobotCoupe immersion blender everywhere. If the stick blender didn't get it as thin as I wanted the vitamix did.

12. You will never make mashed potatoes any other way one you make them using a food mill. I have two mills. One a smaller Rosle for doing mashed potatoes for four or less and a large French mill that can do 10 lbs of mashed potatoes per minute. Check out Joel Robuchon's potato purée recipe. You will never be the same. One pound of butter for every two pounds of potatoes.

13. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

I LOVE me some mashed taters.
    I just might have to look in to a food mill just because of mashed taters.

14. daveb

daveb Founding Member

15. Ok...that's worth some cleanup...

16. James

17. Andre

Andre Founding Member

I have a smaller size of one of the french mouli I got from restaurant depot.

The best thing you can do with this is make gallon ziplock bags of gnocchi for your freezer. They cook from frozen in a few moments, sear them in a pan, build a butter sauce with vegetables, and you have a nice dinner in less than fifteen minutes.

The color difference on tomato sauce is pretty noticeable.

Everyone should make Robuchon potatoes once, with the tamis and everything.

18. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

Wait a minute. Huge difference between a Food Mill and a Food Processor. A food mill is more like a mechanical sieve. Make soups silky. I have an Al-Clad stainless one. Don't use it often but when I do I LOVE it.

19. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

I have an Oxo and like it quite a bit. It pretty much is only used for a brief period each year, for making tomato sauce and removing seeds from blackberries and raspberries. I tried using it for mashed taters once. I'd left the skins on and I think I used too fine a sieve because it ended up being a bloody mess and a big fight to get the taters through. I think a ricer would have been easier. I don't make mashed potatoes often and confess to preferring a hand mixer.

20. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I can't wait to see how this unfolds. :pop James I'd not be surprised if you have three food mills by this time tomorrow! I bet your new pans haven't even cooled>>>:jamesI envy your gusto.