1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Fishing reel repair

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by WarrenB, Mar 4, 2015.

1. A friend asked me to have a look at a fishing reel that was wasn't working properly, handle turned but the spool was stuck at the bottom.
    Never done anything like this before so decided to take some pics to help identify where the bits went if a spring or something pinged across the room!!

So I stripped it down and found a worn worm shaft, a call to Shimano and a few £'s later I was ready to fit the part.
    bits2.JPG

I found I had to strip a lot of it down to get to the worm shaft. Lots of screws and parts so I kept them in their own little groups so nothing got mixed up.
    bits.JPG

Managed to fit the part ok and clean some grit out of the gears, greased it all up and it went back together fine, phew!!
    bits3.JPG

All working fine and running as good as new!!

2. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Nicely done!

Digital cameras are the greatest thing since sliced bread for working on something like this. Nothing like a "before" photo to show you where that funky bracket goes.

3. Yep, before I had a digital camera I would do a little sketch of things with lots of little fiddly parts, so much easier now, although the camera doesn't help when a spring flies across the kitchen and down the back of a cupboard:D

4. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Well done. Your post reminds me of a Wheeler Dealer episode.

5. Funny you should say that, although not vehicle related, I do buy a lot of stuff to repair, clean etc and then sell on. My dad was the same and I seem to have a pretty good eye for finding stuff just like he did:D

6. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

Great work man! You pretty much need to document these types of repairs. All this new fangled tech in fishing reels makes disassemble cumbersome.
    I remember my first baitcasting reel I felt like I needed a degree just to spool the line!

7. These Shimano reels are very well made, good internal parts. I took apart a cheaper brand the day after and there was a 'dog leg' lever piece cracked in half, looked like cheap cast/pot metal. Guess you get what you pay for!

8. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Well done Warren! I have found I am the best at taking stuff apart.... not so good at getting it back together...hahaha:Dave

9. I guess 14 years of stripping down, repairing and servicing boilers, ovens, fires etc has drummed it into my head to look carefully where all the little parts go:D Pretty demoralising when you spend 4 hours removing parts and repairing bits and then put it all back together to then see a spring or clip on the floor:confused: Back to square one!! You learn pretty quick that way:D