1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

First Thing You Do With A Brand New Knife

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by James, Feb 27, 2014.

1. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Yeah, off to the stones.

I like toothiness and Im using just two stones in my setup so most edges [decent blades we talk about] are oversharpened to me.

All due respect, I dont usually shave off my forearms while preparing dinner, so this kind of testing doesnt help too much:p

2. ThEoRy

ThEoRy Founding Member

Oh, you've seen my channel?

3. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

LOL. Unpack the knife, try not to get cut. Give it a thorough looking over, look for any flaws (bends, twists, over or undergrinds if they are major), check sharpness, spine/choil/handle gaps/edges F&F. If it's OK, then I go to the stones, get it up to my standard of sharp and then go to the supermarket and get stuff to cut up. Go home, use it, see how it does, wash and dry fully, check the edge after use and adjust the angle if needed. Then put in the block and order another new knife! Currently, I have lost track of my gyutos and how many I own :) I am up to near 10?

4. Birnando

Birnando Founding Member

Another one for hitting the stones.
    Not that my honing is all that, but I'm eager to find out how it does on the hones, and what I can get out of it with my setup(s)

5. Jay

Jay No soup for you Founding Member

New knife? Woo hoo!

6. neelesh

neelesh Founding Member

never did take a photo, will do next time

7. gavination

gavination Founding Member

Are you the one that uses lots of "umms" and unpacks with one hand because the other is holding your phone which amplifies your mouth breathing and such impeccable jostling to make me nauseous? Or did I just watch a cut scene from Blair Witch? :D

8. ThEoRy

ThEoRy Founding Member

That was ONE time!

9. gavination

gavination Founding Member

Oh suuuuure. And I suppose you'll tell me it was at gunpoint next. :lol: