1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Excess Tomatoes - What do you make?

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Burl Source, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Burl Source

Burl Source Founding Member

I am sure I am not the only one who is starting to have an excess of ripe tomatoes.
    The big ones are ripening now and I want to do everything I can with them. I got carried away with the garden this year so there are lots and lots of tomatoes. One of my customers grows heirloom tomatoes for seed. He sent me a big mix of types and I planted almost all of them. Ended up giving starts to everyone I know and planted over 100 plants myself.

I am curious about what you all make? maybe recipes as well?

Someone mentioned a tomato relish that sounded good to me.

2. You can always can the extras. Makes for good dishes down the road.

3. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

How bout some spaghetti sauce? Jar it and it should last a long time.

Salsa is always at the top of list.

4. Toothpick

5. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

I'm just finishing up 50 lbs that I picked up at the farmers' market. I have my own little assembly line--wash 'em up, trim off the gnarly bits, quarter them, and put in a saucepan over low heat to soften. When they're soft enough they go through the food mill and then into the big stock pot to reduce for sauce. While they're reducing they get a little salt (and this batch is getting a little sugar--they weren't as ripe as I'd like and they are a little tart.) I'm going to end up with 6-7 quarts of sauce that will go into ziplocs and into the freezer. Sometimes I'll just blanch, peel, and quarter and put them into ziplocs in the freezer, but I'm short on space right now so they're cooking down some first. They'll be spaghetti or pizza sauce this winter--anything where the tomato is the star.

Then there's the extra-special seasoning:

Thumb.jpg

6. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

I've also heard that you can just freeze them whole and use them for sauces later. Just wash, dry and put into ziplocs. Or freeze on cookie sheets then put in container.

7. Toothpick

8. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

Tomoto pie. Seriously. Never even heard of it until last year; gave a random recipe off the interwebs a shot, and it was freakin' delicious.

9. butch

butch Founding Member

tomato paste (we made crockpot apple butter last year and thing the same could be done with tomatos ) we are only just now canning sauce and we make it extra thick 12lb mators ends up 3 qt.

10. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Conserve! Vindaloo. Juice. Sauce. Salsa. Marinara.

The lady of the house and I can go through a couple quarts of salsa by ourselves. Once we have little ones I'm sure we will be able to go through more than that.

11. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

I haven't had any, but tomato jam sounds interesting. Lots of recipes if you google it.

@Toothpick: just a little slice. I got through all the tomatoes and was washing the knife and barely touched my thumb with the heel. !#!#!@!#@####!!!&!!

12. Here's the relish recipe. I only have a rather large recipe so you may need to scale it down

1Tablespoon cloves
    2 tablespoon whole allspice
    1 tablespoon black peppercorns
    5kg tomatoes rough chopped
    6 garlic cloves fine chopped
    1 tablespoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    30g salt
    600ml white wine vinegar
    1kg sugar

Method : tie cloves, allspice and peppercorns in a square of muslin clothe. Put all ingredients except sugar into a a large pot bring to boil and boil steadily for 1 hr stirring from time to time. Add sugar and continue to boil stirring every 20 mins or so for a further 1-2 hours. Remove muslin bag and squeeze well over pot before discarding.
    Blend relish in a food processor. You can store it in jars long term :)

Goes great on sandwhiches & burgers.

Have fun, enjoy!

13. Toothpick

Glad it wasn't worse. But those little cuts can be just as big a pain the butt.

14. Andre

Andre Founding Member

Tomato jam is good, ODTs stored in oil last about six months

15. Burl Source

Burl Source Founding Member

Made my first pot of sauce last night.
    Mostly romas with some german lunchbox tomatoes.
    Without any seasoning it tasted great.
    So tonight......spaghetti.

16. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Just finished a batch of vodka laced gazpacho with some killer ripe tomatoes. Served them as shots at a cook out.