1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Duck Eggs?

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Burl Source, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

2. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

I've heard there's a difference in how eggs are processed in the US and Europe. They are washed in the US to remove salmonella and and some of the egg's natural protection is washed away, so they need to be refrigerated. One approach in Europe involves vaccinating the laying hens against salmonella, so the eggs are not washed and they have a natural protective coating that blocks bacteria. The eggs don't get refrigerated.

It was on the internet so it must be true! :D

3. mr drinky

mr drinky Founding Member Gold Contributor

I love duck eggs and eat them fairly regularly. Yes, the yolks are larger, but I like that as I think it is a better runny-yolk ratio for putting sunny-side-up eggs on a good piece of toast. I get some good bread, toast it, and spread a Japanese mayo/spicy mixture on the bread. I cook the egg sunny-side-up. Make sure to cook on low-med heat and cover the pan to retain heat and warm the yolk. I even used to cook the egg using goat butter just to up the natural funkiness a bit (that's how I like it). I then flip the egg yolk side down onto the mayo side of the toast, salt and pepper the top of the egg and then put some jalapeƱo kraut on top of it. That runny yolk with good bread, some heat, and kraut acidity is just amazing to me. Now I need to go get some at the co-op...

k.

4. pleue

pleue Founding Member

I do more or less the same thing. Toast some bread or an English muffin, kewpie and Siracha on top side, Parmesan on the bottom side. Butter fried duck egg, on the part side which melts it and something pickly to help catch the yolk when I smash it down. Sometimes some wilted greens or pork along with it.