1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

do we need nakiris

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by jock, Sep 9, 2014.

1. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I've always wanted to like nakiri, and I have a few that are good, but I have small cleavers that are much cheaper that cut as well and have more useful scooping surface area.

Also a growing santoku fan, assuming the point isn't too blunt. I'd trade my man card for a good santoku in a heartbeat.

2. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

i personally love the slicer as my daily use knife. i use it for everything in a hot kitchen. prep, line duty, specialized tasks. if its not a slicer its a mini slicer! also known as a petty lol.

3. Brad Gibson

holy crap. that is an oldie and a super goodie!

4. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Pretty darn good looking "chic" knife there Mrmnms.

5. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

I agree. I have a knife built by Rottman for me that's bigger than a petty and smaller than a suji that I use as a line knife and is the best all around all purpose knife that I have.

6. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Thanks Al, love my chic knife. Deep blade, thin at the tip. Nakiris, Banna Bunkos, yes even a good Santoku is great in a tight or crowded space.

7. daveb

daveb Founding Member

Chic knife. Still looking for the chic.

[​IMG]

8. I'm a home cook and for me a nakiri is just another excuse to get more knives. ;)

When I'm about to go through a lot of (for me at least) onions, potatoes or mushrooms, I often use this nakiri: Shiro Kamo Limited Edition Nakiri 165 with Aogami #2 core steel, reactive cladding. It's really incredible with onions in particular. However, it's not that great for harder stuff like carrots and turnips, where it tends to stick. I guess it has to do with the slick finish and that it's quite thin.

Posted pictures of it in the choil thread, but here they come again.

Shiro_Kamo_LE_Nakiri_165_1_Profile.jpg Shiro_Kamo_LE_Nakiri_165_2_Profile.jpg Shiro_Kamo_LE_Nakiri_165_3_Choil.jpg

9. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Do we need Nakiris is like asking do we need sex.:D If it's a knife, of course we need it!

10. Brad Gibson

now that is the only sexy chic knife ive seen around! I want my chic to own that knife. It would be love at first sight!

11. chinacats

chinacats Founding Member

Only reason you wouldn't need a nakiri is if you prefer a cleaver:cool1

12. Home cook so take my comments with that in mind, but my nikiri is my most often used knife. I love it for some reason. That being said I could almost pass for a vegetarian these days...I still eat meat, fish, eggs, cheese....but vast majority of my diet is grains and veggies.

On top of that I just like the way they look.

I have been drooling over a harner for some time now, just trying to convince myself to drop the cash on yet another knife.

Seriously thinking of selling my ealy custom Damascus 240 gyuto to fund the purchase lol

I know I'm odd though :)

13. MattS

MattS Founding Member

I find Nakiris enjoyable to use. And they make great beginners knives for kids. My six year old graduated to a chef knife, but the four year old is still on nakiri duty:)

14. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

OK, don't look purists...

My home made bread has a soft crust. I can pull out an itty-bitty cutting board and use the nakiri for slicing bread (as well as veggies and other things.) Perfect slices every time.

15. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

I dont need a nakiri, but mine is my favorite knife to use, after what Mat said im kind of ashamed of it now though lol, but the heck with it.

16. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Dont feel ashamed James, my kids get good practice with them, but my wife uses one too:)

17. scotchef38

scotchef38 Founding Member

I like my Nakiri and it can't be beaten for veg prep but I find it works well for scoring meat and fish skin,especially Pork.I have a Yamawaku which I have re handled and think it is a bargain for the $60 I paid for it.

18. Geez Matt ;)

19. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

so im an effeminate child with a kick butt knife, well at least i have a kick butt knife

i need to make onion soup again just to have an excuse to mow down that many onions

20. MattS

MattS Founding Member

All kiding aside they are a fun knife to use. I have lusted after a hollow ground nakiri from Will for awhile now.

In fact a second nakiri will likely be my next purchase.