1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Damascus

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Rami, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Well, when I started looking at knives about a month ago. I started to get really attracted to some of the Damascus blades from most of the makers here. However if I am going to blow a gran ( or three) on a blade, I am not sure if I can use it every day ( too afraid to damage something so beautiful ) at the same time it seems sacrilege to get a top knife and not use it. Should I get a straight carbon for use and a Damascus fighter or something for the display cabinet ?
    I donno.

I have a while to make up my mind ( wish I had that kind if money at the back of the drawer :D ). What do you guys think?

2. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

I use my damascus knives. And every time I use them, it makes me happy. They are functional art.

3. ThEoRy

ThEoRy Founding Member

Knives are tools regardless of fancy jackets.

4. What knives do you have?

5. True, but think of it like cashmere it still keeps the cold out but there is a difference between it and a wool jacket.

6. SpiceOfLife

SpiceOfLife Founding Member

In what way are you afraid of damaging it? Patina, chipping, dropping it?

I use my damascus knives too. It'd be like me not using my phone because I'm afraid of it dropping. Personally it just doesn't make sense for me to buy a tool and not use it. I do take care of of my stuff but I don't baby it. It's just 'stuff' after all. If I'm going to buy something I'm going to use it, or else I see it as a waste.

- Steve

7. Chipping. The fact that I don't sharpen yet and may damage the grind. My understanding is that to get the very best you need to know how to care for them. And I haven't learned that yet.

8. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Here are some--not all are damascus, but they're photos I have handy (sorry for lousy pictures):

Maumasi, Rader, Shigefusa Kitaeji:

Taters.jpg

Yokishane SLD, Carter KU, Hattori KD:

girly6.jpg

A few Tanakas:

girly3.jpg

A Devin ITK (not damascus, but always nice to look at) and a Bill Burke:

girly2.jpg

A Delbert Ealy Parer:

DelParer.jpg

9. Wow. That's all I can say really. How long you been collecting? The rabbit hole looks deeper by the minute.

10. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Not nearly long enought considering the amount of $$$ I've spent! But I haven't bought a pair of new shoes in 3 years...

11. SpiceOfLife

I mean, you wouldn't cleave bones with a damascus gyuto. If you're going to do something like that with a knife you should probably use a cheap cleaver. With that said a knife shouldn't chip very much with good technique in my experience.

If you drive a car, in theory it can become damaged, but that normally doesn't happen. There's a possibility of a knife falling off the wall -if you display it as art- and being damaged. There's always a chance of damage. But the important thing is to learn to appreciate and enjoy :)

If you want to learn how to care for them first then you can always get a cheaper knife rather than splashing out 2k. Then when you're comfortable with the cheaper knife, splurge on something more expensive.

- Steve

12. Would the Damascus rub off when I sharpen thin the blade?

13. Lucretia, I must admit I have to reconsider my prejudice. I believed all Damascus looks awful after a few months of use.

14. No, but you will have to re-etch after really heavy thinning.

15. That's what I am worried about. Does it?

16. SpiceOfLife

No. There's always the option to re-etch the blade. But tbh that would be in the very distant future in all likelihood. The damascus pattern is in the steel itself. Etching would bring the pattern back out.

- Steve

17. SpiceOfLife

Nope. The damascus pattern remains visible. It does patina (purple, blue, green, etc.) but IMHO it adds to the look. If you oil the blade the colour disappears.

- Steve

18. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

But just like with cars, there are marks of use.
    Stone chipping on the paints surface comes to mind. my 10 yo bmw is full of it. Cannot be fixed actually without a respray

I really dont know if it adds to the value but I wouldnt think so.
    I think once you buy it and start using it, it becomes a regular knife, and after 10 years its just a well seasoned knife.
    That however seems sexiest to me, like the old japanese master with yanagi sharpened down soooo much, that its nearly gone.

19. SpiceOfLife

Definitely, there are marks of use. And that's normal, regular wear and tear. Wear and tear happens on everything. However, 10 years later the car is still usable. You don't (hopefully) suffer a chip every day just like a knife shouldn't suffer a chip everyday. Micro-chipping happens. Scratches can form, but with basic maintenance and care there is very little reason for a knife to not last a lifetime.

And Rami, if you're worried about how the damascus will look with patina, you could always get a stainless damascus knife... That's always an option. DT makes beautiful ones!

- Steve

20. I've never been a big fan of Damascus, clustered patterns give me horrible migraines and I've never found one I loved enough to sacrifice for it. That being said, if I ever do get one it will be from one of our bladesmiths. I've been tempted a time or three by their creations.

Someone once told me, the most expensive knife you own is the one not being used. My "purse fund" has become my "knife fund" so I can't imagine buying one and not using it because it's too pretty. That's like buying an expensive sports car but not driving it because you don't want to put any miles on it. They are meant to be enjoyed so buy one and enjoy it. Life's too short not to ;)