1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Customer Feedback Thread!!

Discussion in 'CJA Edged Art / Scorpion Forge' started by CrisAnderson27, May 1, 2015.

1. 1455974989243.jpg

Hi everyone, here is my new CJA Edged Art / Scorpion Forge Gyuto.
    The specs:

W2 tool steel
    225mm edge length
    50 mm height at heel
    4mm spine at the heel
    Handle material : Kingwood, Maple burl, nickel silver and Mokume spacers
    Handle type : multi-faceted dual taper design.

Ok, we will start with the performance.

Now I'm not a knife maker or bladesmith so some of the correct terminology eludes me but in saying that I am an avid enthusiast and having some 'high end' knives I know what I like and don't like.
    THIS knife has been a revelation!!
    As soon as you pick it up it's like....'Oh my' The handle style and design is just so comfortable. Facilitates the pinch grip with ease. If you wish to use the hammer grip, no problem there.
    The balance point is just a little in front of the heal which I personally prefer, gives it a bit more forward weight. Being an 'extra heavy' this is even more personal joy.

I'm not going to compare to other makes as I feel that isn't fair, as any comparison is purely personal opinion. Cris's knives are their one entity.
    Profile on the knife just screams performance at you and the dispal taper is truly something to behold. Starts at approx. 4mm at the heal and just goes down to "OH MY GOD" Seriously, the first inch would be akin to a laser. Scares the crap out of onions just showing them the knife. Truly amazing and absolutely minimal flex.(I'm smiling just thinking about it)
    The grind is perfection and thinness behind the edge is off the charts!! My initial test was on some root vegetables and after only a few cuts, I was literally giggling like a school boy!
    My technique prevails itself to using more of the last 1/3 of the blade. Tend to use a circular, push cut style, Oh lordy this blade excels at this, laps it up with consummate ease.
    Please don't be fooled by all the handsome good looks these knives have all the 'shown' and 'GO'

Will continue testing in the coming weeks and update.

Now, I just want to share a little about the build process with Cris making this knife.

It was an absolute joy to be involved in this build with Cris as the guiding force. The mans passion and enthusiaism is staggering and contagious. He provides total customer interaction and emersion with constant update with messages, photos and video links. Due too the time differences, sometime he was working till all hours of the night/morning and still giving updates, checking that I was happy were the build was. Amazing stuff.
    A couple of times early in the build he caught me off guard still in bed. Looked over at the mobile at 4am and cursed the caller. Saw who it was and straight away all sins were forgiven. Instantly awake and drooling over the latest photos coming down the line.
    Ok, I lied. I'm not a morning person. Told him I'd BRB, got a coffee, looked at the photos and then started drooling. Was conversing for at least an hour about the updates and where we were at. He shares the love.
    The attention to detail is superb. The f&f on the knife is excellent and photos have trouble capturing the true beauty.
    Not wanting to repeat myself but the finish on this knife is one of the best I have encountered.
    Cris will not allow the knife out of his possession until it has been personally test and he is completely satisfied with the package. True craftsman in every sense.

Seriously people, if you are considering a custom knife I would not hesitate to recommend CJA Edged Art/Scorpion Forge. Cris will take care of you. So much so that I will be a repeat customer and can't wait to work with Cris again.

Ok, thank you for taking the time to read my 'quick' review

Kind regards

Ian

2. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

So you were not disappointed? That's a relief...I was getting a little anxious.

3. One very happy customer ;)

4. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I hate to post this, but has anyone heard from Cris in the last week or two? He was going to ship out a few knives of mine a few weeks ago, but then lost contact and has not responded to me in PM or email.

5. Wow. It appears I have FIVE PM's...none of which I received notification of.

I did receive notification of this however. I'll check your PM now my friend.

6. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

7. All is well lol. I took a few weeks off of working in the shop, being as how it was the last two weeks of summer for my kids, and my ambient shop temperature was 115°F lol. Things are back moving forward again and I'll have some new stuff up for sale here shortly!