1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Current 'Stock' Knives for Sale

Discussion in 'CJA Edged Art / Scorpion Forge' started by CrisAnderson27, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

I saw this on insta about 2 min after you posted but the recent car repair bill won out ..... heavily influenced buy the lady of the house however. .....

2. I've been there my friend...believe me.

I've also been known to work pretty hard to make sure my customers can afford my work...so if you're still interested, shoot me a PM and I'm certain we can work something out :D.

3. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

Thanks for the thought @CrisAnderson27 but I must pass on it. I'm sure it will find a good home in no time.

4. Absolutely my friend, and thanks!

5. The ko-gyuto is sold pending funds...thanks KKFa!!

The two 270mm gyuto-hiki are still up for sale.

The bottom two 270mm hitatsura gyuto-hiki in this video are still available, $945 ($3.50/mm) for either knife with a standard wa handle (this can include some pretty elaborate spacer arrangements, so don't think of 'standard' as 'sub par'), or $1026 ($3.80) with a leather saya. The new handle styles vary in pricing depending on the materials chosen, as well as the style of the handle. Half oval wa, full oval wa, and the octagonal flared butt (like the passaround) are $50, while the dual taper, oval, or half oval on the flared butt handle is $75.

Thanks for looking everyone!!

6. And, the ko-gyuto is sold :).

7. I took one of the above gyuto-hiki and rehardened it. The pricing is the same, but the line is far, far more attractive :).

I think it's hilarious that YouTube muted the audio track because Brantley Gilbert was playing in the background, lol.

8. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

9. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

I just looked up that gilbert fella, Id have muted it too lol

10. Lol James. I like Brantley Gilbert for the most part...his music anyway. He's pretty much a dbag...and if he's THAT jealous of his music that it playing in the background of a shop while something else is being shown causes the entire audio track to be muted...then he's an even bigger dbag than I thought.

Ahh well, it is what it is lol.

11. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

nah thats a youtube thing not him, they run an algorithm that looks for copyright music and pulls it automatically

12. Eh...I know lol. But there's also certain artists and songs that you can't find on YouTube anywhere. That's one of them. Plus its at the discretion of the musician or music group. I've posted plenty of copywrited music as background music to posts.

No worries...it was just moderately annoying that the speech audio I posted was erased is all :)

13. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Can you re harden a knife that has been ground? Would the edge become overly hard and fragile? Looks cool, just curious.

14. It depends, honestly. Do you mean can I re-harden a finished knife that has been ground to an edge? The answer to that is no, not as/is. I'd need to remove enough edge material to give me at least .5-.7mm (.020-.030") edge thickness...if not a little more. An 'edge thin' edge is very weak, and usually won't handle the stresses of hardening well (particularly not clay hardening like I do). This isn't even taking into consideration decarb (the removal of carbon from the surface steel due to oxidation), which would require you to remove some of the edge post heat treat anyhow, to get to clean steel. When hardening in a forge, thin edges present other problems also, as they tend to overheat very quickly while the remainder of the blade is still comparably cool. Thin knives are a real challenge to heat treat properly if you don't have good temperature control.

If you were able to properly harden it however, its stability would be no different than any other hardened area.

The edge on the above knife was still around 1.2mm or so (near .050"), so it was thick enough that I wasn't too worried about it using my Parks 50 quenchant. Getting much below that risks cracks, warpage in JUST the edge (NOT fun to fix...the edge looks like a Pringle while the spine is straight lol), and other issues.

I won't harden a knife in brine at all if the edge is below 2mm thick.

15. I thought I'd add to this...that on one of my knives, that means at least 10mm from the edge. I'm actually considering doing that to this one's partner from the earlier video and making it an actual 260mm sujihiki, vs the 270 gyuto-hiki it is currently.

16. This knife is now sold! I have a couple more I'll be adding shortly however...so stay tuned :)

17. 170mm x 49mm Ko-gyuto:

Pricing is as above! Thanks for looking!

18. All that's left for sale is the 170 ko-gyuto. The final gyuto-hiki sold this week :).

19. @CrisAnderson27 You're title on the forum says "professional craftsman". That, my friend is an understatement.

20. Thank you my friend for your very, very kind words!