1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Course Stones

Discussion in 'Sharpening forum' started by Leo Barr, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Taylor

Taylor Professional Craftsman Founding Member

I'm still using a 150 grit diamond stone I got from Jon to do most of my repairs. I'll use my 2"x72" grinder for cheaper steels when I need to do a lot of thinning. Follow up work is really quick, even with 150 grit, when I pair it with the 800 grit diamond ceramic I got from Jon as well. I don't thin too much though, as the main concern in my city is just finding someone to sharpen a knife. Amazing that I'm the only one doing it here, and teaching people about how their knives need to be cared for is an ongoing process.

2. JBroida

JBroida Founding Member

you having fun with the 800 grit one? I swear its my most used stone by a long margin

3. Taylor

Taylor Professional Craftsman Founding Member

I'm having a lot of fun with it, though I don't use it with super cheap stainless knives. It's too easy to work up a burr, so instead I use a king 1000 to finish off those. For everything else though, it is the stopping point before I go to the 6k diamond from you.

4. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

I have found Nubatama course stones to be pretty worthless from using a friends. They glaze over very easily and are near impossible to flatten or recondition the surface when glazed. The 140 grit Atoma is as coarse as I use and 220 is the coarsest synthetic I use. This seems to work for all my repairs and needs. Don't see a need to go lower than the 140 Atoma.