1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Coffee & Knives

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by upbeatvintage, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Andre

Andre Founding Member

That picture was taken a while back, but i still remember that tuna. It was indeed sh tty, and if I remember got cured, poached in oil, and made into a sando.

Sometimes you plug a tuna, it looks awesome, and when you cut the loins off it is total garbage. Happens maybe once a year.

2. Andre

Andre Founding Member

On that topic, I've often thought of taking a cell phone picture of every prep list. I should have started when we opened, so you could track the development of the restaurant and the passive aggressive relationship between am and pm.

3. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

@Andre
    What are you talking about? Tuna?

4. Andre

Andre Founding Member

Chuckles comment on the prep list in my picture

5. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

Ahhh...I was confused. Not a hard thing to do actually...

6. Kona Estate coffee ... pour over. Black. Yoshikane SLD Hakata Santoku

Attached Files:

7. butch

butch Founding Member

yesterday
    DSC06282sm.jpg

8. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

image.jpeg
    Gengetsu on the way out the door. Why am I taking the time to post this? In at 3:00am today. Every drop of that coffee is incredibly important!!!

9. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

This is the largest knife I've ever ground/completed. It was some nice, springy 70+ year old carbon that I left very "vintage" on purpose. It was supposed to go to a certain chef in Denmark, but it stayed here with me... Coffee is dark roast from some place in Toronto. Haha. Tom Gray mug, as always.

[​IMG]

10. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Beautiful!

As a side thought. If I could get Tom Gray to do a run of KKFORA mugs, would you guys be interested?

11. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I like the look of that Haburn Warren. Looks like it survived reentry from outer space

12. Sounds very interesting, Tom! Let's see what the Fora masters think.

13. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

In principle I'd be interested, but as with most things, it depends on what the final product will be. Coffee mug is a very personal thing for some.

14. Thanks, Mike!
    It does have that 're-entering the atmosphere' look now you mention it, when I took it out of the block, I thought it had a little rust as it was so orange! Just the beautiful patina luckily

15. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

A 50/50 brazilian medium roast & a blended dark roast. French press. And a Marko 165mm gyuto in John Thomas raindrop damascus. I like this little knife.

CafeauMarco.jpg

16. [​IMG]
    The way I like to make my cappuccino makes it a bit difficult to put a knife on top, so I'll put this grey cardinal on the background.

17. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

[​IMG]
    Bloodroot Blades 165mm Usuba. Amazing cutter! :cool:

The blade is from a two-man crosscut saw like they used to log with in the late 1800's early 1900's. It's water quenched and tempered back to HRC 61. The handle is scorched (flame-grained) black locust wood from near Asheville, NC. The ferrule/spacer is blackwood from a clarinet factory in Paris.

18. My new favorite coffee mug:

image.jpg

19. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

[​IMG]