1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Closing Down the Store

Discussion in 'JapaneseKnifeSharpening / Dave Martell Knives' started by Dave Martell, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

So the day has finally come that I'm forced to close down my online store. Our sales have gone from what was once 6-figures......down......down.......down.....to so low that we're not even covering the current monthly site fees. At this point we're going to cut our losses and drop out of the stone sales game for good. [​IMG]

What's going to happen moving forward? I'll just keep plugging away at knife making, handle work, sharpening, repairs, and all that stuff and hope/pray that this continues on. I'll do my best to bring in some items, (like boardwax/felt/diamond spray/etc) once in awhile for sale here on the forums but I can't promise anything, things are very tight here.

I want to take this opportunity to thank all of our thousands of customers that have supported us over the years, without all of you we couldn't have made it this far and I won't forget! I also want to thank our parents for the help that they've given us, especially in the last 1.5 yrs, we'd have been hosed good without their generosity.

So that's it for now. Time to make a change.....

Dave

2. That is really sad news to hear Dave. If it wasn't for the crappy Aussie Dollar and shipping costs over here I would have definitely helped to keep your purchases higher, which is a shame.

But as much as it is bad news for the rest of us, you have to do what is best for yourself and your family.

3. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

Very sorry to hear this, Dave. But sadly for a non-pro such as myself stones last a long time, so once a collection is set up the follow-on purchases are fewer and further between.

I truly think the knives are what will get you firmly back on your feet. The petty I bought a month or two back is a work of art. I can definitely see a gyuto down the road, and that one will likely give me incentive to divest a couple others I've colelcted but rarely use. Your knives kick ass.

4. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

So sorry to hear this Dave. Hope that it turns out to be a blessing in disguise.

5. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

Dave, sorry to hear this. Your presence in the retail area was always welcomed by all of us, and will be missed.

6. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

This is hopefully a blessing in disguise. There is so much potential in you focusing on only knives.

7. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

Thanks guys & gals, I appreciate the words of encouragement.

8. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

Dave, perhaps switching to one of the less involved website hosts like squaresoft or one of the other inexpensive ones. It's a very competitive market and there are lots of value to be found.
    Even listing on Instagram, which is free may help a bit.
    I sold a ton of knives on IG last year for absolutely no cost to myself.

If not, then I have to echo what the others have said, perhaps a blessing in disguise and work on just knives.
    Either way you go, I wish you the best of luck.

9. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

I get what you're saying, Dave, and it was a large part of me switching directions almost two years ago. With that being said, I don't think that we've seen the last of you :) I'd say grab the occasional piece that you believe in and sell it on here, and Instagram. Bill had some great advice there. However, I say focus on what you do best and that is being the best at sharpening, refurbs, and handles. Of course, your knives get included in that, but cost and turnaround are very limiting with full knives.
    You'll pull through, and I'll do what I can to help direct sales your way. You deserve some good.

10. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member