1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Chinese Limited Edition handmade kitchen knives

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by roaduck, Jul 24, 2023.

1. I got two lovely parcels today from China.

I have got no room in my tiny kitch for any more knives - it`s chocka block full of sharpies.

So I only ordered two which arrived today and I have a big heavy Chinese penknife on order.

I have been a member of aliexpress and alibaba which are Chinese retail and wholesale sites respectively for over five years so I have bought hundreds of items.

By now, I know the pitfalls and scams and false marketing descriptions and how to spot dodgy reviews; I know the score now.

I have bought a lot of inexpensive Chinese knives from the aliexpress portal and none of them disappointed me really and the majority were fabulous value and quality.

However today, opening 2 slim boxes I was genuinely flabbergasted with what I received.

I got two amazing Japanese style but Chinese hand-made kitchen knives for about $50 dollars.

They are a new company called Amber Knives and they are strictly limited edition.

I bought a 6" petty genuine 67 layer 10Cr15CoMov Damascus stainless steel and a 8" gyuto genuine 67 Layers VG10 Damascus stainless steel which both came razor sharp in a lovely fitted black box each.The hardness is a stated HRC-60 which is incredible for the price and the blades are lightweight but a quality 2 mm thick and are like bargain lasers.

What do you guys think? - I will upload more piccies on request. AMBER KNIFE.jpg

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Love to see more pics.
    Sharpening will help with checking the hardness..looking forward to the report!

3. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

I'll be more interested once they've seen some use, and sharpening like Jim said. They look great though!

4. Thanks so much for the replies Jim and Wagner the Wehrwolf.
    These were not for me - I got `em for the girlfriend - she loves pretty Japanese style Asian knives.She can`t utilise choppers - too big for her.
    Me...I can do with just one cheapie Chinese chopper for every job in the kitch - less washing-up too.When I was young and a poor student I could only afford one knife - a caidao and when I lived in China I learnt how to use it for most kitchen cutting tasks.
    I got the friendly dragon a guided Ruixen Pro sharpener for Christmas because I was sick of rescuing everybody else`s knackered dull knives.She`s not even got it out of the cupboard yet!

I have just tried both of the cheapie Chinese Damascus knives and they are both great OOTB.
    They tackled refrigerated apples into 1mm 1/25th of an inch slices with aplomb.
    I have a lot of Chinese style cleavers - over twenty - from 1/3rd inch thick blades to 1/25th inch thick blades - from bargain-basement to bespoke made for me caidaos.I used them for so long I learnt to do anything with them - from butchering, mincing to carving fruit.
    I`ll post some more piccies later - they`re thin but very stiff and great value IMHO

5. Last edited: Jul 25, 2023