1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Chilli... Whats your favorite...

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by PierreRodrigue, Feb 22, 2014.

1. PierreRodrigue

PierreRodrigue Tactical Walrus Founding Member

I'm making chilli for supper. Nothing fancy, or too hot, beef or elk based, peppers, kidney beans, good tomatoes, and sauce. Served with rice.

Now all you southern boys, school me please!

2. erikz

erikz Founding Member

Add braised ribs and also dark chocolate to marry the flavors!

3. panda

panda Founding Member

mix in ground turkey, sweet peppers, red wine vinegar

4. Squirrel Master

Squirrel Master Founding Member

Anybody ever catch the chili episode of good eats? One of the better episodes IMO

5. jigert

jigert Founding Member

I don't pretend to know anything about chili, so I'll keep reading this thread. I don't get to make chili that often since my girlfriend is a vegetarian, but when I get the chance I like to add a shot or two of espresso at the end.

6. Chutotoro

Chutotoro Founding Member

Depends on what kind youre making :) I like the "southern style". People usually say that the things you dont want in a chili is ground beef, tomatoes, onions and beans (thats the kind we often did in sweden though);D Just start with a few diffrent sorts of hot peppers, like anchos, chipotles and birds eye. Cubed beef. Water. Garlic, coriander seeds, chili powder, beef stock, oregano, cumin, sugar and a little bit of salt. Take it easy on the salt at the start. Fry it up and let it simmer for several hours. Keep adding a little water now and then so it wont go dry and go like that until th ebeef is really tender. Its great food, and you can serve it with rice ofc, and even beans on the side, hehe.

7. Jay

Jay No soup for you Founding Member

If prepared lovingly, I don't think there's any such thing as bad chili. I've had good chili from both chopped and ground meat, with and without beans, with and without tomato, and from a variety of pepper preparations.

For my latest iteration, I start with a variety of dried peppers (ancho, pasilla, chipotle, you name it) that are roasted in a hot dry pan then reconstituted in hot water and pureed. They're added to a pot of garlic and onion sautéed in bacon, and always get a bottle of dark beer and a shot of tequila, as does the chef.

8. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

I am getting ready to cook up a big batch for a Game Dinner this Saturday! Ground Venison, Ground Bison, Ground Pork (Venison and buffalo are very lean), Lots of bacon, onions, garlic, spices, beans, tomatoes, bell peppers, etc. It's a sweet chili but has a little heat to it; I don't like super spicy foods. Kahlua is also added into it, too, may try a dark beer this time instead. One of my moms friends gave her the basic recipe years ago and I've been playing with the recipe lately. Plus it gives me an excuse to use the knives, lots of cutting up stuff!!

9. Andy

Andy Founding Member

Don't have a great deal of experience with Chilli, but my staple is the Atkins Chilli, goes great in the slow cooker for 4-5 hours or so also.

10. JohnnyB

JohnnyB Founding Member

Low and slow. Doesn't matter what the ingredients are. In fact, I maintain they should really never be the same. Each chili chili you cook should be as individual as a snow flake. As far as "secret" ingredients go... Chocolate (bakers or dark) but a little goes a long way, ancho chilies, beer. I've recently been convinced expresso is a pick to click. Haven't tried personally, but I trust the people who have convinced me completely. Low and slow.

11. Baker_Rat

Baker_Rat Founding Member

I am a huge fan of whatever chili I made getting served over pasta... I know, could be blasphemy to some... lol

I like beans in the chili, and I've had recent success with using the cubed beef instead of ground, so I like that style better now.

12. DevinT

DevinT Founding Member

I make a red chili with jalapeno meat balls and instead of beans I use a little hominy. I like a little onion, sweet pepper, and tomatoes also.

Hoss

13. Argonaut

Argonaut People call me French sounding words Founding Member

No beans!

14. stevenStefano

stevenStefano Founding Member

It's probably sacrilege to some people but I always use a lot of beer then just before I serve it I add a little cinnamon and brown sugar. I like ground beef because it's a bit quicker, I cook it for about 2 hours

15. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Chicken chili has become the favorite at Casa Lucretia.