1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Chef Knife Damascus Restoration

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by gunnerjohn, Feb 27, 2014.

1. gunnerjohn

gunnerjohn Founding Member

Hey everyone, not sure if this belongs here or on the workbench page, so it can moved if necessary. My question to the makers and those that have done restoration is about the re-etching of a damascus blade. I have worked with damascus materials in the past so I am familiar with the use of ferric acid. What dilution media (distilled water or vinegar?) is the best when dealing with knives that are going to primarily used for food prep? Does one work better or worse for food knives? Thanks everyone

2. PierreRodrigue

PierreRodrigue Tactical Walrus Founding Member

I use ferric chloride and water, vinager is another acid, and depending on the steels in the damascus, help make the darks, darker.

Properly neutralized, and rinsed. Either is fine for food use.

3. Maximus

Maximus Founding Member

Water. 50%

4. cclin

cclin Founding Member

I use water to adjust ratio of ferric chloride as well

5. gunnerjohn

gunnerjohn Founding Member

Thank you all, I just had a clear acrylic waterproofed tube made so I can see immersion depth. I'll post pictures as the re-etching is done.

6. gavination

gavination Founding Member

I'm really interested in how this goes! Then I can watch first hand and you can teach me! :D

7. gavination

gavination Founding Member

Now Dave Martell is on the boards too so you can make him tell you what he uses!