1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Chayote squash

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by MotoMike, Oct 26, 2016.

1. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Howdy friends:
    tried some Chayote Squash. sliced them about half an inch. tossed in hot olive oil with fresh minced garlic, some dried chipotle flakes, ground black pepper and salt. when the garlic began to carmelize, I drizzled with an aged balsamico that had a sweet/sour profile. cooked till the balsamico was reduced to just glazing them. they were tender crisp and pretty good, but not great.

seeking a killer recipe for them as a nice side dish.
    thanks
    Mike

2. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

They good cold in salads , sliced thin, tossed with lime juice and a little olive oil. I first had it served in a salad with avocado. If you have a favorite stew or curry, they absorb a lot of flavor. A little mild for my taste buds alone.

3. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

thanks Mike
    quite mild but great texture. any other ideas?

4. Half them, half bake them, scoop out shells, mix inside with bread crumbs, cheese, chopped shrimp, seasoning. Top with cheese, bread crumbs, bake til tops are crusty.

5. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

sounds tasty ChefJeff

6. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

My granny grew them and did something similar to chefjeff, but with onions and no shrimp or cheese. I bet his are better. They always seems kind of bland to me.