1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

CDN dual temp digital thermometer model DSP1

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by MotoMike, Mar 22, 2014.

1. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

DSP1.jpg A couple years ago, I got this thermometer for Christmas. I initially used it for smoking on the grill where I wanted to maintain a constant low temp in the grill while also monitoring the meat temp. It worked quite well for that purpose. I have also taken to using it for my broiling and roasting in the house to get the meat at just the right temp. It has worked well until just recently when it appears to have melted wiring insulation in the cable. There is a stiff section that if I fiddle with it I can get it back online for usually the needed time to finish my cooking.
    CDN is sending me another probe, so that problem will be solved.

But I wonder if there are better dual temp digitals out there. This one has some complicated and inconvenient adjusting procedures.

I wonder also, how important do you consider the dual sensor function. I have an Acurite meat temp only digital that is very user friendly.

2. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

3. daveb

daveb Founding Member

My experience with CDN is that they produce cheap knockoffs of established products. Case in point is their digital thermometer, a poor copy of the Thermapen. I would be suspect of the grill thermo but it sounds like you're having a pretty positive experience. That's a good thing.

Other dual probe units include the Maverick and the Thermoworks. The Maverick ET-73 is very popular on the BBQ circuit. I have one and while it works well (and has a way cool remote feature) it also is a little fragile for my use. I've had to replace the meat probe 3 or 4 times over a three year period. Most recently I've added a Thermoworks 2 channel thermo. With "K type" connectors I can use one probe for product and one for the grill/smoker or I can use two probes for the product/products. Probes are available for liquids, air, surface and product.

Hope this helps.

4. Andy

Andy Founding Member

Another vote for Maverick thermometers, I have a couple and find them generally reliable.

The Maverick ET-733 looks pretty good, with the ability to monitor either two pits, two pieces of meat, or one of each.

5. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

That remote function looks great. Does it actually work well? Have a decent reliable range?

6. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Thanks Dave

In looking at the Themapen and the CDN version, I can certainly see the similarity. Things that I see in CDN that are normally not found in fly by night companies is the 5 year warranty on their products. If they stand by the thermometer and the new probe arrives as promised, I guess I will be OK with them. Now that I know about the user unfriendliness of the controls, I would not buy it. The AcuRite has very simple controls and is supposed to be good up to 700 degrees. I am sure the CDN and probably the AcuRite are made in China.

Chuckles
    That ChefAlarm looks good too and the very thin needle probe would come in handy for some thinner cuts.

Andy
    The Maverick remote unit looks like it would be quite handy allowing one to pay a little less attention to the grill and mingle.

7. daveb

daveb Founding Member

The remote will reach from grill to my kitchen (30') no problem. To office (50' and 2 walls) it sometimes drops synch. All that is required to re-synch is to get the receiver back in range. If someone wanted to watch the tube and smoker at same time it's great. The 732 was their first product out, if probe went over 500ish degree the solder would melt. Was good for smoker but not the grill. The 73 was next out, better higher temp probes. But if they get water in them they don't like it. Have to be careful cleaning. I've not seen the 733. Yet. The Thermoworks is a pricey solution but has become my favorite.