1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Catch of the day

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by WarrenB, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Jealous. Perch are one of the most delicious fish out there.

2. another day out 15 perch from 0.5kg up to 0.8kg and two zanders. all about the catch and release today since we already have alot from friday.

3. The Perch fishing is alot of fun. around 20 of them today. here is two

800g
    [​IMG]

700g
    [​IMG]

4. Indeed the bigger Perch are very fun to catch, thay give a good fight on light rod.

5. Yep, great fun catching them on a light spinning rod and small reel, a lot of the private lakes over here open up for predator fishing over the winter so it's time to try and get a few Pike and Perch soon

6. Make sure to post them :)

7. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

8. Managed to get a day of fishing in today:)

Unfortunately we picked a cold wet miserable day for it!!
    rain.jpg

This was our home for the day, you can see my friend having one of his customary fishing naps:D

rain2.jpg

And all I ended up with was this little Pike:confused:
    fishatlast!.jpg

9. Toothpick

10. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

11. Just the one carp today, 14lb 5oz/6.5kg
    14lb.jpg

It put up quite a scrap for it's size, when I looked at it's tail I found out why!! Huge tail for a fish this size!!
    14lb2.jpg

Very windy today and a bit of rain so the the shelter got an outing
    brolly.jpg

12. Toothpick

13. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Nice Warren. Are you firing up the smoker?

14. Really thought it was at least 5 or 6 lbs heavier when it was ripping line off the reel!!

All catch and release, the lake owner would chuck us out if we dropped one on the floor let alone cook it:D

15. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Ah. I know your angling rights are cherished deeply over there. So don't risk it!

I've been surprised by big carp like that when paddling through the shallows. Occasionally I'd run on top of one apparently startling us both, as he'd move the canoe quite violently as he moved away.

16. Yep it's pretty serious over here with regards to fish welfare, might sound a bit silly but on some lakes it's a requirement to have to have fish antiseptic to put over the spot where the hook comes out if it bleeds or if a scale comes off etc!! Some of these fish are worth a fortune though!!
    There are plenty of trout and salmon rivers and lakes where you can take home what you catch up to a certain limit, so there is still a choice of catch and release or dinner over here:D

The biggest carp I caught was 31lb 4oz/14.2kg, didn't really fight but was just a heavy weight on the line, when one of the big 20lb+ 0nes wants to go on a run you just hang on really until it gets tired, but you can feel the power those big tails produce:)

17. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

14 Kg!!! That is a large carp my friend. I should have some good stuff for this thread when I see my family on Haida Gwaai this summer. Most of the tourist fishing there is going catch and release but the host lodge will compensate the guest with commercial caught fish of the same variety. I however will cook, cure, and smoke what I manage to catch while there.

18. had to google Haida Gwaii, what a place to visit!! looks beautiful:)

This is a very bad pic of the 14.2kg carp, back before digital cameras took good pictures:D
    31lb4oz.JPG

second biggest at 25.5lb/11.5kg, the one in my avatar. Actually caught it twice in the same day!!
    25lb_01.JPG

and 3rd biggest at 22lb/10kg
    22_01.JPG

You can see the beard getting greyer over the years as the pics are in date order:D

Doing a 36 hour trip on the 20th/21st, a lot of the big fish get caught at night so fingers crossed!!