1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Carbon vs Stainless, What's your poison?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Argonaut, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Argonaut

Argonaut People call me French sounding words Founding Member

My SS Henckels fillet knife cost me about $1200 when my wife used it to separate some frozen hamburger pattys and cut through the tendon in her thumb knuckle, that was after insurance. I've always wondered if I kept a "Laser" in the house, if her nickname would be no. 9.

2. Stereo.Pete

Stereo.Pete Founding Member

I'm a carbon nut for several reasons…
    • Takes a great edge
    • Easy to sharpen
    • Patina's are sexy
    When it comes to stainless I am very picky and currently love Devin's AEB-L

3. Christopher

Christopher Founding Member

That would have been a good time to try and use that suture kit she tries to use on you LOL.

4. cclin

cclin Founding Member

I like both, 40% of my knives are carbon, other 40% are stainless, rest of 20% are semi-stainless. I use both depending on the situation/task.
    Cheap carbon steel is usually better than cheap stainless steel in sharpness and edge retention. For high end knives there doesn't seem to be as much difference in this respect. Good High carbon stainless steels & PM steels have really caught up with carbon. they behaves almost just like carbon, but much convenience! Some PM stainless steels have much better edge retention than carbon.

5. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Carbon has more soul... :)

6. Stereo.Pete

Stereo.Pete Founding Member

I love what this guy said, #like!

7. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Thanks. I just think of stainless as clean, sterile and hospital like. It doesn't patina so it doesn't live.

I like my AEB-L knives but have really started to like caring for a carbon line knife.

8. djh

djh Founding Member

Some lovely blades there. I have a bunch of Wüsthof knives which have served me well for the past 20+ years... wouldn't want my wife messing with anything else.