1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Carbon vs Stainless, What's your poison?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Argonaut, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

I like both. .
    Most of the carbon steel knives I use are Vintage Sabatier or Russell Green River knives.
    The wife likes the stainless ones I made for her more though. ..

2. Argonaut

Argonaut People call me French sounding words Founding Member

Good to see there's a clear cut answer.:)

3. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Tallow or non-tallow :p

4. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

I prefer carbon, I like the patina's :) I don't mind Stainless and will often grab one if I am cutting a pineapple or something very acidic, or if someone other than me will be using it.

5. Andrew

Andrew Have Pen Will Travel Founding Member

I would be more than happy to come over and remove that troublesome drawer for you. No need to thank me.

-Andy

6. Andrew

Andrew Have Pen Will Travel Founding Member

All I have are stainless knives (Messermeister and Global). Although, I should have a carbon clad in stainless in something like 3 or 4 months.

-Andy

7. Aphex

Aphex Founding Member

The most recent knives that iv'e bought were stainless clad carbon core, best of both worlds.

8. Vangelis

Vangelis Founding Member

I am vouching for carbon, I really like how they grow into you with some beautiful pattens. However for my petty's I prefer stainless as I dont have to worry about rust if I leave them on the counter for being washed later on.

As for the dinners, I always inform my guests that NO knife is to go into the dishwasher and they aren't allowed to use all of them (different magnet blocks). But in general they are intimidated by anything bigger than a petty :D. So I almost always home safe.

9. Taylor

Taylor Professional Craftsman Founding Member

I tend to prefer carbon, as for some reason, they are just prettier somehow. Guests tend not to cook at my place, but just watch. I do have certain knives I let them use though if I can convince them to do anything. Plus supervision is a must. And they don't get offended as they like a guiding hand when they are afraid of touching any of the knives.

10. Birnando

Birnando Founding Member

Carbon all the way for me.
    At least in the kitchen.
    There are many good things to be said for stainless, but it doesn't sit right with the purist in me

11. timthebeaver

timthebeaver Founding Member

Stainless clad, tool steel core for gyuto.

12. Squirrel Master

Squirrel Master Founding Member

Clad carbon hands down.Preferably with soft iron, but not always. I love having gengetsu around sometimes, so i dont have to worry as much about reactivity on the blade sometimes. I used to prefer stainless, but now stainless knives just feel like a compromise to me.

13. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Back in the day I was a carbon guy. Easier to sharpen, held an edge much better and got incredibly sharp. But know days there are some very good stainless steels that compete well with carbons. I own several of both but I think my heart will always be made of carbon.

14. panda

panda Founding Member

carbon cladded with soft iron fo sho.

15. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

Pettys/ parers are a mix of carbon and SS, as those are the ones my wife is most apt to use. Gyutos and slicers are mainly carbon or carbon core, although my go-to is a SS DT ITK gyuto.

16. tk59

tk59 Founding Member

I find that as my sharpening improves and I get to know my knives, it really doesn't matter too much. The one problem I've found is during particularly humid times of the year, it's tough to keep all the carbon blades free of little rust spots.

17. Taylor

Taylor Professional Craftsman Founding Member

That's why you should live where there is no humidity :)

18. chinacats

chinacats Founding Member

Absolutely carbon. I believe it to be a more pure steel and therefore it has more "soul."

19. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

I've discovered carbon with high end. Shirogami made love it as it's the first knife I managed to sharpen to a decent level.

But I also like my SS knives, they are very convenient. So I use both depending on my mood and what I'm making.

20. Crothcipt

Crothcipt Founding Member

A well done SS will do a good job cutting, and holding a good edge. But it usually costs a lot. I am in the both catagory.