1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Carbon sujihiki 270mm recommendations

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Squirrel Master, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Squirrel Master

Squirrel Master Founding Member

Im looking to purchase a new carbon suji. I really like the looks of the kochi 270mm suji, especially the fact that its 43mm tall. I tend to prefer taller sujis. I dont really want to spend more than $300. What else is there in my price range? The masakage mizu suji looks like a pretty good deal for $220. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

2. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

The Masakage Mizu is nice and stiff and is taller. I really like the rounded choils that they do! Not sure if there is anything that really competes with it price wise off of the top of my head?

3. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

I read at knifewear when I was getting the nakiri the mizu line is nice and thin, handlesare cheaper and not as nicely finished, but thats to keep a really good blade at a really great price... other then that I can only comment on how nice and comfortable the yuki I have is with the extended rounded choil I was looking at thatsame knife, but im going to hold off all blade buys til I get my gyuto now... so if you get that I definitely want to hear hownyou feel about it

4. ThEoRy

ThEoRy Founding Member

270mm Misono Swedish Carbon Sujihiki is ABOUT $250, the 300mm is just under $300.

5. cclin

cclin Founding Member

Itinomonn Kasumi 270mm Wa Suji!!
    I haven't try Kochi suji, but I've own Kochi kurouchi v2 gyuto; I think Kochi is
    best band for your buck & best F/F ku-finished gyuto I ever own!!
    avoid thin, flat grind suji if you don't like food stick on the blade when you cutting small object...for example: sushi roll, boiling egg, cucumber...etc

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  6. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

I like a longer sugi, but mostly use it on larger items, 300mm is a good starting point! :thumb

7. Squirrel Master

Squirrel Master Founding Member

Actually the 270mm is $198 and the 300mm is $250....ive been looking at those also :thumb

8. ThEoRy

ThEoRy Founding Member

Hot dammit, you're right!! Go for it!