1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

carbon steel

Discussion in 'Harner Knives' started by butch, Dec 19, 2014.

1. butch

butch Founding Member

thinking about a run (mixed sizes and shapes ) early next year. looking at steel options and wonder what your thoughts are on
    O1 52100 and blue2 im sure i coudl get other steels but im kind of thinking about these for the most part

2. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I would need to know how much I like XHP first, but a nice carbon could be intriguing. I'll leave the debate over which steel in particular to other folks for now.

3. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

Yes.

Or rather, whatever you can make the best knife out of.

4. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

I've had a cleaver and a knife of yours in O1, and a straight razor in 52100, and all have had excellent heat treatment (of course!). I'd expect that blue2 would be the same. Any of the steels would be a very good choice, though I tend to favor 52100.

5. butch

butch Founding Member

as for cost i think i can save a hair due to the less involved HT (liek not having to foil wrap each blade) the cost of the steel is not a huge factor tho blue2 is close to XHP pricing O1 might save me a buck a blade so you can see how that hardly hits the bottom line. believe it or not grinding XHP is nicer then O1 or 52100 cause of the powder and the even distribution of carbides
    also i have been asked more about single bevels and since they are mostly in carbon steels it woudl be easier to add a few in HT to fill out a batch

6. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Any of those steels would work for me but I tend to be a 52100 junkie.

7. butch

butch Founding Member

yea i had soem tripple melt 52100 hat made great razors but i cant get it anymore (that i know of) no matter what i ll be getting the "cleanest" steel i can and if i can get it ESR smelt i will

8. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

I have both your O1 and XHP, and I must say they are both amazing. I love O1, but have always felt that 52100 feels softer on the stones, and O1 seems to hold it's edge a bit better. With that being said, I feel 52100 and O1 are almost the same in terms of how good they are for a knife. Erik Fritz's HT of 52100 is otherworldly, though, so if you can dial in 52100 like he has, I say 52100, just to mix it up (for you)...and that way I have an excuse to get one for myself.
    Oh, and my favorite edge might just come one your W2....

9. butch

butch Founding Member

i coudl maybe swing W2 but find it so reactive to flash rust tht it might be a PITA to keep from pitting (+ side is its easy for me to HT )
    O1 calls for a mid speed oil and i have been doig it in fast oil and am risking cracking (tho as you guys have noted if they make it out of quench in one piece its a hell of a HT

10. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

blue steel. oh the sweet blue steel.

11. For a blue steel 180 nikiri I would buy today :). Beam me up Scotty!

12. most interested in a single bevel and im sure whatever steel you choose will be spot on.

13. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Because I can, since this is the forum that Butch and I share (muahaha) - there will be a left-handed Butch and Tom collab usuba coming up, likely in January. It should be pretty ok....

14. butch

butch Founding Member

i wandered when you were goig to get to that blade