1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Car washing advice

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by Toothpick, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

Greetings!

I just purchased a new car. It’s black. I hate cleaning black cars.....

I was talking with a guy at work about waxing it before the winter and he stated that it probably has a protectant on it from the factory since it’s new. So do y’all think that’s true? And worth waxing before the winter?

I’m also curious what you all think of The Chemical Guys car products. I’ve always used Mothers but The Chemical guys stuff looks like it might be better. Maybe they just have a better marketing department.

Also, those of you that wax your cars....is the power buffer attachment for the drill worth it? What kind do you use if so.

Thanks!

2. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

I'd be curious to hear what others do as well.
    I try, I mean I REALLY try to be that guy who washes and waxes his car on the regular. But alas time does not allow me.
    Ok, to be honest, when i do have the time I just find myself to tired to do it.
    I did however pick up this clay bar kit and gave it a whirl once. Very impressive! Car looks and feels so silky smooth and shiny. Such a big difference. Really brought back that new car look.

As for new cars and protectant coating, I have no idea. But I cant imagine adding a layer of nice wax to this prior to the harsh winter would hurt it any.

3. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

I’ve heard good things about the clay bar so I’m going to try that for sure. I’m not a regular washer I guess, which is why I want to add another layer of protection. But with the right tools and know how I could see myself washing the car up on the regular. Black cars are so tough to keep clean but they look really nice when they are.

4. Maximus

Maximus Founding Member

I like black, but swirl marks are always visible, and I never was able to get rid of them, so now I stick to white. Much easier to clean.