1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

canning foods (for the gardening types )

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by butch, Apr 27, 2014.

1. butch

butch Founding Member

so i hate canned peas but want a good way to save them. i have a freezer but want to can as much as i can since power can go out and i dont want to loose all due to it. yes a generator is planned after all half a side of longhorn lost would piss me off too.
    i see vac packing stuff but that cooks the jars 10-15 min anyhow. i was thinking i could blanch cool and then use a vac to pull canning pressure without heating extra. keeping from having crappy mushy tastless food.

please tell me science has found a better way that is still safe.

2. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

Blanching is part of the canning process as it is. I think you have to pressure can to prevent botulism. I guess if you don't worry about botulism.....

I'd freeze.

3. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

I've never canned myself, but I've been around my mother and she's only used something like this over the years and a stove. Boiled for 10-15 minutes and then set on the counter to seal. My mother has never used anything to pressure seal them, unless that's what boiling the jars does? I distinctively remember each time a jar sealed we'd both get excited "another one sealed!"
    Sorry I can't provide the info you request.

index.jpg

4. butch

butch Founding Member

ok since we dont have a problem with other canned goods i guess i will plan to make room in the freezer for peas