1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you talk me through a killer omelette?

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by MotoMike, Jun 21, 2014.

1. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Not one of those homogenous egg pockets stuffed with ingredients, but one that is light and delicious owed to proper assemblage of a few quality ingredients. I'm recalling omelletes I got when in France at little nothing fancy type restaurants that working men would go to. And they were not for breakfast but for a late lunch not quite supper meal that I would seek out after getting off the ship at the end of the work day.

I've tried a few times over the years, but have never been able to get there and never had a state side place come close.

2. Jay

Jay No soup for you Founding Member

Not exactly an omelet by technical definition, but one of my most requested breakfast dishes- potato omelet.

Slice a Yukon gold into 1/8" rounds. Heat butter and olive oil over med/low heat. Add potatoes in an overlapping spiral, covering the bottom of the pan. Cook about 4-5 minutes or so. Flip the potatoes- this part is pretty tricky. Continue cooking for another 4-5 minutes. Meanwhile, whip three eggs (none of those puny non-American eggs) with a bit of S&P, some chopped fresh parsley, and a couple of tablespoons of reggiano. Flip the potatoes again if you have the nerve, then sprinkle with crumbled cooked bacon and the egg mixture. Cover pan and cook slowly until eggs are fluffy and serve with a hit of sriracha.

3. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

4. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

+1 to @Jim. Follow Pepin for anything and you wont go wrong.

5. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

When in doubt on food check out Jacques Pepin for sure!

6. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

thanks guys. Jay, that potato omelet will definitely get a try.

The second Pepin omelet is quite close to what I recall.

Any other omelet secrets?

7. Practice, taste, make adjustments. But then that's the secret to all cooking. And why I think I am a long way from being a decent cook, not enough practice.