1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Butter Beans

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by MotoMike, Feb 24, 2015.

1. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

When I was young both my grandmother and mother made a dish they referred to as butter beans. Lima beans in a butter sauce. I don't know how they did it or if they even started with dried beans. The thing is, I have never been able to get the big butter flavor they seemed to both get into those beans. Any ideas? Been hankering for them lately.

2. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Growing up I always heard the dried limas referred to as butter beans, and fresh were called limas. My college room mate called them all butter beans, and the ones she cooked sounds similar to what you're talking about. She'd take little baby limas--about 1/2" size or a little larger--and put a little water in a saucepan, cover, and cook until tender. Drain off any remaining water, add a decent amount of butter and some salt. It makes a big difference if you can get good fresh beans. Her dad grew them, and she'd get them fresh picked, shell them, and cook them. Good food!

3. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

I simmer until tender mentioned, then cook down the water until just a few tablespoons left, then add butter and reduce down again until desired consistency. That's it.