1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Business in New York

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by Dan P., Oct 10, 2016.

1. Does anyone here own or operate a small (very small!) business in New York state?

I've only just begun research into it, so really my question is a bit premature, but Im curious about any pitfalls that may not be that obvious.
    I'm also very curious about health insurance and whether running a, for instance, LLC will get you any kind of corporate insurance deals?

I currently reside in the UK, where I operate as a "sole trader", and obviously don't have to worry about health insurance here.

General U.S. appropriate knowledge appreciated, NY specific especially so.

Thanks in advance,
    Dan

2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

Sounds like you are thinking about something BIG. Sorry I can't help with the info but good luck on what ever you do!
    I hope you find the info you need.

3. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Dan, Having run a small business in NYC I have to say good luck!
    New York is heavily regulated and taxed.
    If it's going to be a very small one man operation then it may not be so bad.
    Do you know what area you may be relocating to?

4. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

I may be able to point you in the right direction. Do you an idea of where you are planning?

5. I found information re LLC & health insurance. Seems fairly straight forward. I do need to have a good peruse because I understand the NY is pretty hot on regulations and bureaucracy, but I'm hoping this will apply more to public liability ie restaurants and other places open to the public than to tiny manufactories like me.
    Where? Mid-Hudson area. I went to college around that area and know it quite well.

6. And thanks for the good wishes. It's going to be a big deal, I'd it ever happens, which I hope and believe it will.

7. OH MY!!! That'd be something like a 2 hour drive for me ... too bad we most likely leave the country next year! #bummer