1. Welcome to the KKF! Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp. Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

    This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Bleach in stone water.

Discussion in 'Sharpening forum' started by MattS, May 23, 2017.

  1. MattS

    MattS Founding Member

    I finally have an official sharpening station and a place to store stones dry as well as soaking. Does anyone use bleach in the water for their perma soakers, or if not bleach, how do you keep the water from going bad?
     
  2. rogue108

    rogue108 Founding Member

    I use a between 2 tsp to a tablespoon of bleach depends on the amount of water and change it every 3-4 months.
     
  3. Peter Olsen

    Peter Olsen Founding Member Contributor

    I use 20-30 ish % alcohol and have no bacterial growth. Much nicer to use than bleach.

    Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
     
  4. Bleach here, works well for stones, but you can't drink it unlike 20-30% alcohol....
     
  5. JBroida

    JBroida Vendor Founding Member

    i'm waiting for someone to misunderstand this and start soaking their stones in jack daniels or something like that
     
  6. larrybard

    larrybard Founding Member

    I may love some of my knives, but would never sacrifice good drinking alcohol for them. Especially a solution of 20-30% alcohol (40-60 proof).
     
  7. MattS

    MattS Founding Member

    How often do you change out your water?
     
  8. Peter Olsen

    Peter Olsen Founding Member Contributor

    If you keep the lid on preventing the alcohol from evaporating then you don't need to change it. In theory you can't totally prevent that. Especially if you own the box to take out the stone(s) a lot. With only pure water it takes about 4-5 days for black colonies of bacteria to begin giving out a sulphurous smell.

    Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
     
  9. marc4pt0

    marc4pt0 Founding Member

    This is an odd topic for me. Everything I've read on it is the exact opposite from my experience.
    I've always left my perma soakers in water alone and never had an issue. When I first read on this topic regarding the addition of bleach I thought "that makes sense". So I threw in a small splash of bleach. The next day every stone was covered with this dark bacteria. I was furious. And this discoloration ran deep, not just surface area. It took me a bit of time to remove it. A couple stones are still slightly discolored along the sides.

    So I switched back to simple water. I'll change the water maybe 2 or 3 times a year for my large container holding 6 stones. The one at work gets changed often because I use the soaking water to rinse the stones during and after use. Haven't had problems since.
     
  10. rogue108

    rogue108 Founding Member

    I permasoak my stones vertically in a large Rubbermaid cereal container for easy storage. I add about 3 tsp of bleach to the water and the container gets sealed when the stone aren't in use. I change the water every 3-4 months. This has does the trick for me preventing weird bacteria or mold growth
     

Share This Page