1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Blade Show! Blade Show!

Discussion in 'Get togethers, Tastings, Restaurant Openings, Etc' started by knyfeknerd, May 20, 2014.

1. Who here is attending????
    I'm driving down with my dad (a birthday/early fathers day present) on Saturday and spending the night at a hotel nearby. I am really looking forward to meeting some of my favorite makers!
    Is Hoss coming???

2. which one are you going to?

3. Atlanta

4. have fun, show us some pics please.

5. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

A friend of mine from down under will be there, Keith Fludder , who is also taking his journeyman smith test

6. Had a great time yesterday. This was my first knife show and it was a little overwhelming. So many knives. So much handle material. Too much to be able to focus on anything.
    The AC in the exhibition hall was a little lackluster and I battled a fatty headache all day(Atlanta traffic will do that to you) but I'm very glad I went. There wasn't a huge kitchen knife presence, but still some stunning pieces from familiar faces.
    A quick summary:
    I met David Lisch. Super nice guy who looks just like he does in that commercial. I wish I had the money to buy one of his knives at the show. I'm a big fan of his damascus and the integral bolster work. Killer handles too I might add.....[​IMG]
    The full tang one had sold by the time I circled back around. Nice hamon David!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Mr. Takeda and his crew (pictured with some guy with great taste in baseball)

And we know this guy's stuff.............................................................
    ....................................................[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And the man himself. Had such a great time talking to Michael. I honestly probably could have talked to him all day, but I tried not to be too much of a groupie. He had a friend next to him selling some beautiful wood blocks, especially the Koa.

I got to meet Bill Burke and handle(for the 1st time ever) some of his work. I've always been a big fan of his work from pictures they are even more impressive in person. He had some things at his table and a couple more on display at the Takefu Steel table. One of these days I'll own something made by you Bill!

Murray Carter was there and I went to his table in hopes of talking to him. Some local friend of his was kind of running interference and pushing hard for sales so I didn't get the opportunity. I was a little irked.
    The guy tried to explain what a clad blade was-thanks!
    Didn't fathom how a cook like myself could not currently own a Carter.
    All I wanted to do was meet Murray and shake his hand and say "big fan".

Saw David Broadwell.

Saw Quentin Middleton and pulled him aside to chat for a few. He had a sexy little petty on him that is the best thing I've seen from him yet. I hope to hook up with him sometime this summer.
    I also met Daveb and his nephew. It's always cool to meet up with any forum guys.

Saw some other kitchen knives that looked promising and made a few new connections. Hopefully I can share some more later.
    Finished the day off at the Japanese sword demonstration. It was really well done and quite informative.
    Cheers![​IMG]

7. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

Great pics, looks like a blast

8. I wasn't able to find Aaron Wilburn, I thought he was attending. I was also disappointed that Bloodroot Blades wasn't present. They're only about an hour away from Atlanta in Athens.

9. Nice pics indeed! Thanks for sharing.
    I guess Bloodroot guys were too busy making knives, unlike those potboilers from Japan :D

10. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

It is very cool to see you with Shosui! Looks like a blast!

11. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I looked at the blade show site for next year and not much info. how far away did you stay from the Cobb Galleria? Atlanta is 850 miles for me so options being considered.

12. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

There are a BUNCH of hotels near the Galleria. Renaissance is attached if you don't want to drive at all. Sheraton is attached by skyway. There are also a dozen or more within 5 miles, Embassy Suites, Holiday Inn Express, Marriott. Off the top of my head.

13. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Knerd,

I had a similar experience at the Carter table at the show in Seattle. Irked me so much that I haven't been able to look at my Carter without snarling. It's been pulled out of the drawer and tucked away until I get over my snit.