1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Blade got wet!

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Toothpick, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

And looks like a bit of rust and/or corrosion set in. I wear it in a sheath at work and the other day I was out in the rain. Never dawned on me to check the blade and dry it.

How do I get rid of this stuff?

Sorry the pics are crud, just got my cell phone and bad lighting.

IMG_4926.JPG

IMG_4927.JPG

2. Here are the things I used successfully for those issues:
    - backing soda,
    - silikon carbide (800 or 1200 grit) on cork,
    - 800-1200 grit stone slurry on cork,
    - sand paper on rubber backing (going from heel to tip only). Considering the scratch pattern of your blade, this is what I would go for with something like 600 grit.

3. Toothpick

4. Scotch brite and/or backing soda should be enough to cleanup this blade.
    Corrosion will progress if there are oxygen and water. If your blade is perfectly dry now and the air is dry — it wont spread.

5. Toothpick

OK good to know. Seems I don't have scotch brite or baking soda in the house. What kind of place is this!

6. Hey I recoqnize that knife :cc

If I remember correct it was sandpaper finished at 800 grit. So if you care about looks that will do it, or any abrasive really will get the rust off. Cool it gets use!

7. 000 steel wool and some oil gets it right off. Or the Suehiro rust remover blocks work fabulous. The XF is 400 grit.

8. Toothpick

You should cause you made it! I kept it put away and only used it occasionally. But for the past couple months I've been wearing it every day and using it a lot. It's really great!
    I just figured there's no point in not using it.

Someone pointed me to the Super Eraser Rust Eraser on Amazon. I got that and it took the rust right off. Can still see the outline though but that add character.