1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

blacksmith finish

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by MotoMike, Jan 12, 2018.

1. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Hi guys on the "beginning blacksmith" FB page, a fellow posted a pic of a knife he made with a fuller. profile that to me looks Forgecrafty. has a clean grind up about half way then black oxidized finish akin to Kurouchi
    finish I've seen on other knives. the discussion ensued that the finish was dangerous as bacteria would hide in the forged finish. below is an image of the knife. some say carbon knives are not allowed in commercial kitchens. this all seemed odd to me. what do you all think?

forgy.jpg

2. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Know lots of cooks that use carbon knives, and some with kurouchi finish, in pro kitchens. Can't say the bacteria argument flies with me if the knife is washed properly. I've heard from cooks that it's wood scale western handles with gaps or cracks that inspectors complain about.

3. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

thanks jeff. that makes sense to me.