1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

BIG Gyuto?

Discussion in 'CJA Edged Art / Scorpion Forge' started by CrisAnderson27, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Ok guys....quick question.

How many of you all would use a BIG gyuto? I'm talking like 280mm long by 49-50mm tall...or even longer. The reason I ask is because I find it easier to make the blades longer than I need for a cushion...and sometimes when everything works perfectly...I have this gorgeous, HUGE knife...that it's sort of a shame to cut it down to 250mm lol. If there were any sort of market for those blades...I'd love to know.

Anyhow, here's a video of the one I hardened last night. 280mm as I said, by 49.5mm tall.

@apathetic sort of has dibs on this one...but it's going to depend on how the pattern on the next knife turns out (we're working on a set). I'd love to have someone up who was interested in it (at any size from 255ish up) so that if he passes, I can work hand in hand with someone else to finish it. Pricing will be $3.50/mm finished with a standard burl wa handle (matched to the buyer's specifications as far as color/wood/layout etc), or the same pricing plus $50 for an upgraded handle.

Anyhow guys, let me know what you think. I've been leaving enough on these knives to get some pretty decent size out of them (steel is cheap, a day's labor to redo a heat treat isn't!).

2. Nope. Long and sharp objects are made for big guys in the big kitchens. Or for Japanese samurais. 240 is about a maximum I could fit in our kitchen.

3. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Oh hell yes..... great for cutting strip steaks, prime rib. Nice tool for buffets. :cool:

4. MattS

MattS Founding Member

I am with Anton on this one. 240 max, maybe 270 if I was blessed with a large prep alley....

5. I like the length. I have a few knives 270 plus. I'm a little concerned with the height. Everything I own that long or longer is 52mm tall or taller (talking gyutos...obviously not slicers). My favorite 'big knife' is a DT powdered metal san mai. It's 275 ish and almost 54 mm tall. It feels perfectly balanced.

6. Good to know guys. That one ended up a suji anyhow...and I successfully hardened another 300+mm suji tonight (that could have been a gyuto lol).

Funny...I can harden a 330mm blade in one shot...but I've been fighting the same freakin 150mm petty for three days.

Go figure.

7. At work I loved my 270's to 300's, down to 3 gyuto in that size range and can't give them up :) So I'd say Yes you have a market, it's just not very big of a market :p

I find the avg home gyuto to bet in the 180-240, but in that range I use a CCK cleaver :)

8. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

I find a big honkin gyuto to be very useful. A 300-330mm from you would be sweet, and this isn't the first time I have thought that.

9. I've really, really been thinking of doing one just to do one, lol. Pricing would end up somewhere around $1200 or so as a start.

Hmm...

10. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

My biggest gyuto is around 275 long and 52-ish tall. I'd use it more but wedges a bit for my taste. The biggest I use regularly is around 255. I think it also depends on the maker/knife. My 255 is light and nimble; my 275 has a full tang and is somewhat heavy. I suspect yours could be awesomely fun to use.

11. I'll keep you guys posted for sure if this project comes about :).

12. Forgot how tall my Hiromoto WA AS 300 was but it's tall that's for sure :p