1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Best options for a 240mm Gyuto Wa in the $175 range

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Christopher, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Christopher

Christopher Founding Member

My next knife will be a 240 Gyuto Wa. I've been doing some research but I figured I would post here to get some fresh ideas.

I'm more of a best bang for the buck guy, right now. My budget is in the 175 range give or take, but I would like to find something good for less if possible. I would like to hear from you as to which options are available from sites as well as our vendors here.

My feeling is, I would rather spend for a quality steel and worry about a rehandle down the road as opposed to the opposite. I would like to get a blade with some character (Damascus look or something similar ) if it's possible and will probably get something in stainless or carbon clad with SS.

It will probably be a month or so before I buy something.

What say you?

2. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

I know nothing of them, but i see Ohishi 240 Gyutos for that price range, the stock Hiromoto 240 can be had at that price (Same knife as the group by)
    so can a really Itto Ryu hammered 240, but I know nothing about these knives so all of this really is for nothing but window shopping till you get a real answer

3. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

Help us by narrowing it a little.

Are you looking for a thin, "laser" blade?

240's can run short or long on the edge. Very few are exactly 240. Are you looking for something a little shorter, say 230 mm, or longer, nearer 250 mm?

Although you didn't say specifically, is a carbon or carbon clad blade out of contention?

4. Christopher

I don't think I want a true laser yet. As far as the edge length, I'm not sure. I use a 210 now and find it a little cramped sometimes. I would probably go for a longer one than a shorter one. I can't see the extra length being anything but an advantage.

I'm kinda new to the nuances of quality knives. In a sense, I don't know what i'm missing. I think anything will be better than the cheap knife I use now. Not that I hate what i'm using, I just want to use something better. I don't know a lot about steels and what they do or don't do other than some are easier to sharpen. last longer between sharpening and resist chipping depending on how the knife is used.

I would use the knife for fruits and vegetables and possibly slicing meat for different dishes. I'm kind of a salad honk, so i do a lot of lettuce, carrots, cucumbers snap peas etc. I tend to use the entire length of the knife, I use the tip for precision cutting, the middle for slicing and chopping and the heel portion for carrots and precision cutting.

I know that any knife is a compromise, I just want to start off with something that looks good as well as cuts good. I have to think that there's plenty of knives that fit that bill. I'm also a pincher and right handed, if that makes any difference. The more I research, the more daunting it becomes LOL.

5. greasedbullet

greasedbullet Founding Member

Misono swedish 240 is awesome, but is monosteel carbon if that is a problem. It has a lot of character because of the dragon on the blade. Not quite a laser, but still a great cutter, and with a rehandle or wa-conversion will look sweet as all get out.

Edit:
    Sorry just saw that you wanted it to be wa. My bad. Tanaka Ginsan is a good option. The handle, spine, and choil would need a tad bit of work but once you fine tune it it will be on par with much more expensive knives.

6. PierreRodrigue

PierreRodrigue Tactical Walrus Founding Member

PM sent

7. Andrew

Andrew Have Pen Will Travel Founding Member

Gorgeous knives Pierre!

-Andy

8. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

we better hear about this once its over lol best of luck (its kind of like 7 minutes in the closet in a way isnt it, I mean the rest of us out here waiting to hear about what happened up there)

9. Christopher

LOL, i'm not ready to step up to one of his knives. He was just pointing me in a direction of a knife that is in limited supply. Kinda like "what about this?" then others buy them leaving none for the person asking. :)

10. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

CKTG may be a dirty site to some but they have Goku Damascus 240s for 99... I heard the handle sucks but the blade is 19C27.
    For the price I'd be willing to try it out for you haha.

11. greasedbullet

greasedbullet Founding Member

I have one of those knives. They are pretty awesome, especially for $100. Pretty lasery, very thin all the way from tip to handle. The handle was thrown away as soon as I got it so that wasn't an issue for me. They have chestnut handles now though if I am not mistaken.

12. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

I just bought one to try out... I'll be trying out the Artifex in 52100 with the Sabatier profile too. Maybe do a pass a round or sell it to co-worker or client.

13. PierreRodrigue

:D Just showing commercial knives that fit his requirements. Wasn't sure if hot linking was allowed in the open forum...

14. PierreRodrigue

That is one I showed him, looks like a nice piece.

15. Christopher

Yes, the goko is one that Pierre pointed out to me. If I decide to get that one, I'm going to have to pull the trigger pretty quick because they probably wont be around long. I had my eye on it before but didn't know much about it. I am also looking at the Tanaka Sekiso Damascus gyuto 240 in blue paper steel or vg-10.

Keep the ideas coming. Those were the two knives I was looking at before I started the thread.

16. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

I love Tanaka knives, for what it's worth.

With that being said, you're going to be be very hard pressed to find a place with cheaper prices than Mark's. he has lots of buying power....

17. MattS

MattS Founding Member

I tossed my handle as soon as I got it as well. The machi is unusually tall on this one making the required handle height a little taller than I like, I may grind it down a little and hope I don't mess it up, too thin for my taste, but a good value knife regardless.

18. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

Depending on the knife, MetalMaster has better prices, as long as you can wait a bit longer for delivery.

19. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Very true.

20. Aphex

Aphex Founding Member

For that kind of money, i don't think you can get too much better than the Itinomonn line from JNS.