1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Best KS clone maker

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by alanhuth, Aug 27, 2017.

1. I know it's not cool, but I really want a KS and I can't seem to be quick enough on the draw to get the rare orignals (or even clones) that show up. I would like to either find a quality manufacturer or engage a quality bladesmith to make an excellent KS clone, as good or better than a Masamoto, with same geometry, etc. Who do you recommend? This entity hopefully does not have a huge waiting list and is not overpriced due to it's name. Does such an entity exist?

Thanks for any and all suggestions. First post ever!

2. MattS

MattS Founding Member

There is more to the KS than just the profile. IMO, one of the great things about the KS was that is was a monosteel carbon knife, which is slightly more difficult to find these days. If it was me and I was wanting a KS, just wait for the KS. I don't know for sure, but some suppliers have indicated it will be coming back at some point before the end of the year. Masamoto is a knife manufacturer, not an individual smith.

CKTG has a devoted section to KS style knives. Keep in mind that these are all individual interpretations of the KS and not exact clones. The Itsuo Doi for example, while claimed to be a KS clone, is far from it. Similarly, Shibata makes a KS style knife, but again, it it a rough KS shape as far as tip and back third flat, but everything else is classic Shibata.

IMO, the closest KS close is actually the Moritaka KS. But it is not monosteel.

From a individual smith perspective, I think many may be able to match profiles. You might have to drop some PM's to some of the guys, However, out of the gate, I believe Mario's knives are likely the closest to KS esk, without actually being a KS.

3. Mert makes some awesome custom knives featuring KS profile. I have 260mm blue 2 honyaki Gyuto with KS profile and his workhorse grind from him. I would say it is a upgrade rather than a clone in terms of the steel, cutting performance, custom handle and F&F.

4. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

CKTG though out of stock now, you can put your name on the email waiting list and they will notify you when they are in.

5. Thanks. I will do that. I got the impression that Masamoto was probably done with this line. I hope you are right.

6. And thanks to MattS and Suntoku for your thoughtful responses. I will contact Mario and Mert to see what they think.

7. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Matt is right about the KS being far more than it's profile. It's grind, awesome distal taper and mono-steel is a big part of what gives it it's sought after performance. In my opinion there is only one KS, the clones are just copies in profile but a few are good knives in their own right. I had heard that Masamoto was done with the KS last summer but Mark Richmond claims that they plan to make more and expects to get a few by the end of the year. We'll see I guess.

8. sachem allison

sachem allison Founding Member

Always, Marko Tsourkan his ks are awesome cutters.

9. He hasn't responded to my attempts to contact him.

10. Try again. Marko's knives are great. He sometimes goes missing, but if you are persistent you can get him and eventually get a knife from him. His knives are amazing cutters.

11. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

12. Ok so I need aother knife for my bucket list like another hole in the head. What is a KS knife and what is so special about them?

+1 to Marko's knives. I have one of his and it's very nice!

13. MattS

MattS Founding Member

The KS is a knife sub type produced by the Masamoto company. It has long been hailed as the quintessential Japanese gyuto with mono white steel, and a nice elongated torpedo shape. It has a good flat, good grind and good distal taper. Recently they have been hard to come by which is artificially increasing their appeal.

Here is a video Steve Gamache did for CKTG that sums it up pretty well: