1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Backyard Chickens!

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by Toothpick, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

They're getting past that ugly teenager stage. Nice looking birds.

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

3. Intrigued

Intrigued Founding Member

[​IMG] You're a bad egg, Jim! [​IMG]

4. Jim

5. Intrigued

Intrigued Founding Member

He needs to get some eggs first, before he can eat the chickens. [​IMG]

6. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

7. Jim

8. Toothpick

Apparently you don't have to refrigerate eggs unless they have previously been refrigerated. In other words, once they have been put in the fridge, that's it...they have to stay there.

Which makes total sense considering they aren't laid cold. Can't believe I never gave this a second thought until now.

Also, you don't have to wash fresh eggs. And by doing so you are exposing them to bacteria since you are washing off the "bloom" (protective antibacterial coating) that is naturally on the egg from the chicken itself - and then you better toss them in the fridge.

AND they can stay un-refrigerated for a month, maybe more. Or in the fridge for 6 months or more. The eggs you buy in the store can be up to 3 months old before they hit the shelves.

Egg facts.

9. Toothpick

Oh yeah, got another egg today. So at least once is laying. Now that I've got one egg I want more! And more chickens!

10. Jim

11. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Have you cooked any yet? (I am so jealous!)

12. Toothpick

I had scrambled eggs the other day. There is a significant taste difference between these and store bought. I'll have to eat them a couple more times to make my final judgement. It's not that I disliked them, they were just different than I'm used to. Almost tasted gamey. But someone else might call that rich or natural tasting.

13. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Maybe a slow transition? Mix grocery eggs and your home grown eggs at first. Wasn't the color on your scrambled eggs amazing?

14. Toothpick

15. Toothpick

IMG_4941.JPG

Chickens are getting a major upgrade! New coop being set up. And 16 chicks on the way. Will be here next week

16. Toothpick

16 more! Oh boy!

I think I'll call the farm - Coop'n It Country Farm.

Dern post office calls at 4:45am to come get them! There goes sleeping in!

FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_4950.JPG

17. Jim

18. Toothpick

19. Lots of great fertilizer. :)