1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Backyard Chickens!

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by Toothpick, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

Yeah, I have one I can string up. I'm just worried about starting a fire in the wood chicken coop. 250 watt bulb. I may try to sting it up and let it run during the day to see what happens.

2. Toothpick

3. Toothpick

They are out there and chirping like their feathers are on fire. I got my .22 loaded just in case I hear any ruckus tonight.

4. Toothpick

5. It almost looks like you want some ruckus :eek:

6. What predators do you get in your area?

7. Toothpick

Dogs and coyotes I know for sure. The dogs crisscross my yard all the time. I haven't seen much else but I've only lived here for a couple months.

8. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Yell ''Ma the fox is in the henhouse''when you run out the door. You need a good flashlight taped to that shooting iron .

9. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

When I clicked on this thread I expected it to be about Jim BBQ'ing. :D

10. Toothpick

We were talking today about raising meat chickens. BBQ chicken is my fav. kind of chicken. My mother can fry chicken like nobody's business, but BBQ chicken.....oh man.

11. Nice little setup Jason. 22 is essential or maybe a 410. :)
    I have to do some meat birds too. Nothing like home grown for flavor. Great way to recycle kitchen and garden scraps.

12. Toothpick

13. butch

butch Founding Member

if you are not going to have NVS or thermal scope your goig to want a light on that shooter. check the predator rules where you are out to see what can be used

14. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Jason nice job! I saw an interesting pen made up in a friend's yard. It was basically an 8x8 pen on wheels he would drag to a new spot every day or so.
    Birds got fresh bugs and sprouts, grass got to grow back fertilizered a bit.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  15. Toothpick

I saw something like that on TV. I might do that. It's probably a great way to control the bugs, especially ticks.

16. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

If you raise chickens for meat, throw a black silkie bantam into the bunch. They come pre-burned.

[​IMG]

And how can you resist this face?

[​IMG]

17. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

I used to think having a few chickens could be fun, but I'd rather watch yours. Nice looking setup!

18. Toothpick