1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Backyard Chickens!

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by Toothpick, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

Who's got them? We are just getting started. Had chickens and ducks a long time ago but it's been roughly 20 years ago. We've got room now and just ordered this coop yesterday. Supposed to be in next week.

We plan on this being the shelter at night and fencing off a section of the pasture for free ranging. My biggest concern is keeping predators away. I've read to put the coop out in the open and use motion detector lights on it. The theory being predators like cover and darkness, so not giving them those things will deter them. Depending on how thick the wire is on it I may cover it with hardware cloth. And I also plan on putting roughly 12" of fencing flat on the ground around the coop to deter digging in.

Any tips for getting the chickens used to going in there at night? or will it just come natural to them?

Also, if you've got photos of your coop/run/chickens I'd love to see them. Any any tips to share

Cheers!

canvas.png

2. We had chickens in the backyard growing up and they always came to sleep to the only tree with low branches, they didn't seem to like sleeping on the floor (about a dozen of them) so I assume that they will naturally look for the only shelter available (if that is the case).

3. Toothpick

Yup, this will be the only shelter. It comes with one roosting bar, but I'm going to put at least one more in there. Probably going to start out with 6 chickens

4. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I have heard a lot about backyard chickens of late. frequently in local news where area municipalities are hashing it over and discussing the rooster issue where mostly they are banned.

5. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

6. Toothpick

Yeah no roosters here. I don't want to be woken up early. They crow all day.

The neighbor has about 7. That's close enough.

7. I was going to say that. I may or may have not throw a stone which killed a certain rooster that didn't let me sleep for a week in a row back then...

8. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

No roosters allowed around here. Max of six chickens by code . It's amusing talking about chicken at house parties. When ever the subject of how many birds people have, we all get get this funny blank look and say , " Oh , just six" . Almost no one has just six. I keep my new birds in their enclosure for a couple 3 weeks til their situated, before allowing them out. Most get it right away, a few have to be bribed with sunflower seeds or peanuts or some kitchen scraps. I had one little bantam that refused to go in at night and rooster in a white pine. Too many preditors here to be safe.

9. Toothpick

So you suggest keeping them in the coop for a couple weeks before letting them out? That's not a bad idea. I want them to be trained to go in at night so I can lock them up safely. Otherwise I know they will be food for something.

10. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

If you have the time , you can bribe them in with favorite foods. They come running for it . Then lock' m up. The rare times I had my straggler up in a tree over night, she was waiting by the door to get back in. She was the only problem. Just do it early enough before dusk. I had chicken wire buried about 1 1-2 -2 ft around the perimeter of my enclosure from the sides of it. Didn't have a problem for 7 years til I had someone do some work on the coop and didn't replace the buried wire in a section.

11. Toothpick

12. Toothpick

13. Nice looking coop Jason. How does the nesting box look? Can you get to it from outside?

I want some yard chickens, but have to convince the Mrs they won't poop all over the yard. :)

14. Toothpick

Built the coop today. Easy as can be. I'll probably want to upgrade next year. Judging by how this one is made I expect it to only last 2-3 seasons.

There's 3 nesting boxes in side, Mark. From the outside you simply unlatch the door and grab the eggs.

When I put some deep thought in to a permanent location I'd like to make a concrete foundation. I think that would be more ideal for scooping out the straw/sawdust and droppings. Plus I'm sure after about a week of being in there the ground will just be mud anyway.

IMG_4252.JPG IMG_4251.JPG

15. Toothpick

16. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

17. Toothpick

18. Toothpick

1. Chickens are nasty.
    2. They don't make good house pets.

They are mostly feathered now. Pretty much just their head is left to feather. It's going to be cold (45 degrees) tomorrow night, but these things have to go outside now!

19. LOL. Can't put them under a light bulb outside?