1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Axes

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Jim, Mar 27, 2014.

1. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

dangit, ive been looking for that axe since Jim started this thread, i couldnt find it for thr life of me, the vid passed through my Facebook wall a while ago and it was the first thing i thought of when i seen this

2. Found my grandads old axe a few weeks ago while I have been clearing their old place, this was his original issue Elwell axe from his Army/Fireman days, seriously solid bit of kit and it will be staying with me until I pop my clogs!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Oh man that is a sweet tool! It reeks with history.

4. Was soooo happy when I found it stashed in his shed:) He was in the fire service most of his life and it's great to hold the axe that he probably used to save someone's life!! The pics don't do it justice, it has a beautiful patina and you can tell the rivets are worn perfectly flush through handling and use. I might treat the handle to some mineral oil to keep it in good condition

5. eightysixCJ

eightysixCJ Founding Member

I have a few vintage and family axes I grew up with and treasure including an Estwing hatchet I bought with my savings when I was about ten (the first sharp thing I bought on my own, my dad was pleased with the quality and edge...) and axe I bought with my mom that was on the required materials list for Forestry school.

On the higher end I have a few Gransfors Bruk that I love; their Hunter's Axe is my carry when camping, I also have their Wildlife Hatchet which is a nice light hatchet and their Splitting Axe which is really nice. Wonderful craftsmanship. On the quality industrial side I have a few Ox Head axes; an OX644 Spliting Hatchet, and an OX620 Universal Foresty Axe. Both are really well made for daily/professional work, the Splitting Hatchet is cool and great for prepping wood for my smoker (overkill really) I've used it on larger wood but the handle is a bit short and their full sized spitter would be better for firewood production. I also an Ox Head double bit throwing axe.

Tom

6. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Hey, bringing back an old thread. Great. Can't find any fault with Gransfors Bruk except the price of admission.

Jim. did we ever see which way you went?

7. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

8. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Chop chop, Jim. No really Chop Chop!!

9. eightysixCJ

eightysixCJ Founding Member

Just get one! Then another, and another...

10. dan

dan

I was always a Estwing fan, but I picked up a Fiskars X7 and have been seriously impressed with it. It performs! I honestly did no research and didn't know what to expect based on it's appearance (synthetic handle). Turns out the nyglass plastic they use is shock absorbent and very durable.

WoodTrekker and a few other blogs have reviewed Fiskars, here's one for example: http://rockymountainbushcraft.blogspot.ca/2011/12/review-new-fiskars-x7-hatchetbudget.html

Mine is showing it's age after a few years, and does have some chipping on the edge. I will clean it up soon and maybe post come photos of before/after.

PS there's some sweet previous suggestions. I'm liking the Gransfors. Must resist temptation.. I don't need any more axes!

11. I'm not sure if this is cool for me to say but I make axes from time to time.
    There is a picture of the last one I made on my instagram.

12. dan

dan

In case anyone is interested, here's the start of my neglected Fiskar refurb. Forgot to mention it's a hatchet. It's actually an X11 model, oops! I can honestly say that this has seen a lot of use in it's short lifetime, and passed every test I ever put it through. Finland makes quality gear.

I've never done work on an axe before, so bare with me. It still needs work!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

There's still some microchips to take care of. I was using a Chosera 400. I'll probably research axe sharpening before I continue.

& a battle scar from a fire:

[​IMG]

Take care!

13. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

I see the title of this thread and think this:

Axes.jpg

14. Jim

Well I am down right pleased as a cat at milking time. Finally an update!

A fine fellow stopped by for a cuppa and cigar today and came toting this:

20170912_162115.jpg 20170912_162137.jpg

15. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

16. Jim

17. Jim

Plan on breaking it in next weekend as we are hosting a girl scout troop for a smoors event at my club... I did not know what a smoors was and had to ask. Marshmallows were good enough for us as kids.... how the hell do you spell smoors anyway? Schmpors?

18. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor