1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Do-It-Yourself people here? What have you made or installed?

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by WarrenB, Nov 5, 2014.

1. I used to do Building Maintenance for a living years ago and still love to do some DIY and have done a lot of home improvements and stuff for friends.
    It would be good to see what you guys and girls have been able to do, big or small, from a house to a shelf, we all love pics so post them up if you have them.

2. Ok I will add a couple of pics to get started.
    This is a cupboard I built to go in my friends daughters bedroom, it went on the wall up by the ceiling to give her more storage without taking up the limited floor space.
    cupboard.jpg cupboard2.jpg

And if anyone thinks their DIY isn't worthy of posting, here is a simple curtain rail I put up for my sister-in-law, nothing amazing but I was still happy with it
    curtain.jpg

3. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

last year we had an addition put on. I did all the interior work. It took me from last november to this november to pretty much finish the interior. Here are a few shots addtion3.jpg addtion1.jpg addition.jpg

4. Just few minors things for home. Oak hanger was made about 3 years ago. Damn it's heavy.
    [​IMG]

I wanted to add some color to the kitchen, so with a friend of mine, we took some red paint, plexiglas…
    [​IMG]

… and made this:
    [​IMG]

5. Nice work guys:cool1 The Plexiglass is a great idea, the normal coloured back-splash can be very expensive and limited colour choice, nice way of doing it there.

6. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Tarting up the master bath so we can put the house on the market. Tile "frame" on the mirror to add accent tile, new globes for the lights, and I'm going to pull the light fixtures down and spray paint them nickel to match the bath fixtures and door hardware fixtures. And fresh paint. The original paint was pus-yellow and didn't go with the tile. We got a gallon of "oops" paint (paint someone else bought & returned because the color wasn't quite right) to cover up the yellow, but now we're going to do something that goes with the tile a little better. The real trick is finding something that won't require painting the ceiling.

Before:

BathBefore.jpg

As of this morning:

Bath1.jpg

Just have to finish across the top of the mirror and I can grout the tile.

7. Good idea to try and do a few things to help the house sell, looks like you are keeping it to neutral colours as well which gives you the biggest chance of pleasing a broad range of potential buyers I would guess.
    The tile trim is looking good, finishes it off nicely.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  8. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

Old Table top into a new kitchen island,

2013-11-16 21.09.42.jpg

9. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

10. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Strong work. Now it needs a gallon of mineral oil:)

11. Haburn

Haburn Founding Member

New frame for the dining room table!
    I started taking pics a bit late. The leg frames were already welded up. My "jig" hehehe:
    [​IMG]

Welded and primed:
    [​IMG]

I made the table top and wood frame a couple years ago and we didn't have a large enough area for seating at the head and foot of the table. Since the move we have a bit more room hence the new frame to replace this one:
    [​IMG]

New frame and same old top:
    [​IMG]

12. Nice work Ian!! My mother in law has metal based table but it has a lot of extra braces here and there as it's a lot smaller box section stuff, which kind of spoils the look of the table, your one looks nice with it's minimal pieces and clean lines:cool1

13. pkjames

pkjames Founding Member

some of my diy projects. no more time for these any more, sayas and sayas these days :(

chopsticks, gidgee and i forgot what timber
    [​IMG]

magnetic knife bar
    [​IMG]

lathe learning
    [​IMG]

tormek t7 station
    [​IMG]

little stool
    [​IMG]

tool cabinet
    [​IMG]

192khz dac & tube headphone amp
    [​IMG]

my sons little cot and change table
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Damn James you put us all to shame! That's some real nice work there. I wish I had your wood working skills!

15. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

16. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

James
    I'm considering a magnetic knife rack. can you detail what you used and how.

17. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

James , wow , you are quite talented

18. pkjames

pkjames Founding Member

thanks for the complement guys!

as a matter of fact I am working on one of these racks, a super long one. I took some photos, and will post a WIP soon. hope it helps.

upload_2015-5-13_18-3-31.jpeg

19. My first major renovation on our house, This was a few years ago.

Before:

IMG_4736.JPG
    After Staining & painting.
    photo.JPG

Build a table for the deck out of old pallets and offcuts from the deck, planted a small garden infront of it (its alot bigger now!), Herb garden in an old laundry tub.
    photo (1).JPG

And yes the middle post is not centered, dont ask why lol

20. Haburn

Haburn Founding Member

Nice work! Is that rosemary in front of the deck?
    It's asymmetric, not "not-centered."