1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

another rabbit hole I'm starting down...

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by MotoMike, Oct 28, 2017.

1. I posted right after you did. Must have done it too quickly and they hadn't loaded up yet. I see them now.

Those are looking really good. The hook is cleaner than the first one. You are getting better with each project.

Did you treat them with anything? I haven't gotten any beeswax yet, but regular parafin wax works ok. Warm them up just a little bit and let the wax melt on them. Not enough heat to discolor them, but just enough that the wax starts to melt. When they cool, wipe the excess off with a rag/paper towel. Makes them a bit more rust resistant, and adds a little bit of shine to them.
    I got blocks of it at a craft store, but an old candle would work the same way. (The blocks are for making candles actually.)

2. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Ha, you did get me. I posted and realized that I'd forgotten the pics. then edited them in. you must have been right there. Thanks very much for the info and support.

3. Uh huh! Caught ya! :p

4. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

5. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Thanks. anxious to get back out there, but it was 13 below yesterday and a test of the torpedo heater in the garage show it is not up to the task. forge is insulated so well it does little to the ambient temp. on hold for a while.

6. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Brought home a nice post vice today. Old but appears to be low mileage. Columbian Hardware Co. Cleveland O.

forge47.jpg

7. You did get it! Looks great Mike! Nice investment.

8. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Zander and I forged a couple of pocket skulls today

forge50.jpg

9. Intrigued

Intrigued Founding Member

________ [​IMG]

[​IMG] How cool is that! [​IMG]

___

10. Very cool!!! That makes the whole thing even more fun.

11. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

An 8 year old boy is in need of pocket skulls. I am the only source he knows.:argo

12. Jim

13. Those pocket skulls are great!

And speaking of great, look what I got guy and girls!!
    Mike sent me one of his hand forged bottle openers!

opener.JPG

It works great, no slipping or messing, just grips perfect and off comes the bottle top.

opener2.JPG
    opener3.JPG

A proud addition to my kitchen stuff!
    Thanks, Mike!!

14. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

You are very welcome Warren. Nice pics.

15. Burl Source

Burl Source Founding Member

Looks like fun Mike.
    Thanks for posting the photos.

16. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I put together a twisting wrench and tried it out on my first twisted hook. realized that it is probably larger than most people would want but it was fun to make. Lousy cell phone photos sorry. forge75.jpg forge76.jpg

forge74.jpg forge71.jpg

17. Jim

18. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Thanks Jim. baby steps, baby steps.

19. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

latest hook hot off the forge. forge83.jpg forge84.jpg forge85.jpg