1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

another rabbit hole I'm starting down...

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by MotoMike, Oct 28, 2017.

1. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Quality work takes time Sfeile;)

2. Yes. Yes it does. Not trying to rush you, I'm just excited that I'm not the only one just getting started. :D

3. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

4. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

an inauspicious start. my first set of tongs.

forge27.jpg forge23.jpg forge24.jpg forge25.jpg

5. Nice start!

Hopefully this will be taken as constructive and not derogatory.
    It looks like you either didn't have enough heat, let them cool too much, or didn't roll them enough when you were forming your handles leaving your material fold on itself causing cold shuts.

Looks like you formed them after pinning?

Nice job on turning the jaws. Looks very clean and even.

6. Jim

7. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

your comments are very much appreciated. I've received the same advise from another smith on the UMBA fb page. I was worried about it being too hot, so probably didn't leave them in long enough. the plans called for installing a pin and heating them together for alignment purposes and twisting them with the pin still in. After I twised it, I took the pin out and worked on the reins separately. I think I will remove the rivet and draw them out some more. I don't have any other tongs yet, so working them requires me to hold them with vice grips.

8. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Thanks Jim

9. That is a problem with your first set of tongs... nothing to hold them with yet haha. Ran into that myself when I was making my first pair.

They are looking good though. The hammering will get easier and you will get a better eye for your heat as you progress. Can't wait to see the next project.

10. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Thanks, I built those tongs to handle small stuff, so that is where I will focus trying to develop skills. hooks, leaves, bottle openers.

11. Good plan. I did one set of tongs and thought I was ready to jump right into knives. I found out pretty quick there are a lot of basics I was missing.

I actually did my first LSO tonight. (Leaf shaped object :D)

12. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

First attempt at a leaf. Also made a hold down seen in the second picture. rough but I think I can get there.

forge29.jpg forge28.jpg

13. Looking very good sir!

14. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

thanks sfeile

15. Jim

16. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Thanks Jim. Lets not jump to conclusions though...

17. nice progress

18. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Thanks Valgard

19. turtle

turtle Founding Member

Simply amazing.

Looking forward to everything that comes out.

20. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Thanks Turtle