1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

another rabbit hole I'm starting down...

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by MotoMike, Oct 28, 2017.

1. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I put the final coating on it a couple days ago and fired it this afternoon to cure it. It's just loafing here at 3 psi. final shot is a minute after I shut it down.

forge12.jpg forge11.jpg

2. That's looking great!! I'll have to get a few photos of mine up. I'll probably start a thread soon. Can't wait to see what you start making.
    What's your anvil?

3. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Thanks. It is a 250 pound Arm and Hammer. the first thing I plan is a pair of easy tongs. I don't think I'll be making knives for a while. Lots of hammer time needed.

4. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I'm getting close forge19.jpg forge18.jpg forge17.jpg

5. Looking good! How many cubic inches do you have in open space inside?

6. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

about 300 cubic inches. the burner is supposed to be good for 350

7. That's what I was wondering if you were inside the 350ish mark for the burner.
    I like how you left a pass through design. Makes it easier for longer stuff, but gives you the option to close it off to retain more heat.

8. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

hard to see in the pics, but there are two 3/4 inch tubes on either side of the base that I plan to fabricate slides to mount the front and back porches on. this will allow me to move the porches close to the mouse holes so I can set work on or fire bricks on to close off the holes.

9. I see them now that you said it. Good plan.

10. Nice little forge, it is a must for every home :D Have fun with it!

11. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Thanks guys

12. making some cool progress

13. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Thanks Val

14. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

15. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Jim, the first project is a pair of flat tongs from plans on the "I forge Iron" site. more heating and bending than forging, though the reins could be drawn out. very simple but ingenious.

16. Jim

17. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I got the front porch built and installed today. I'd have gotten the back porch done if an old Navy buddy hadn't called and told me he was at the pub needing company and someone to buy him a beer.
    forge21.jpg forge22.jpg forge20.jpg

18. Jim

19. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

thanks Jim. their function is mostly to set fire bricks on to adjust the opening in an effort to retain heat. When slid out to hold the work if I have a piece of rebar welded to it.

20. Looks good Mike! Now we need to see something coming out of it. :p