1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

AJ Huff's 210mm Gyuto

Discussion in 'CJA Edged Art / Scorpion Forge' started by CrisAnderson27, Jul 16, 2014.

1. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall stats:
    Weight - 186g
    Balance is about 3cm forward of the ferrule.
    Edge length - 215mm (8.5")
    Heel to belly (flat part of edge) - 115mm (4.5")
    Overall length - 395mm (15.5")
    Height at heel - 48mm (1.9")
    Height at midblade - 33.5mm (1.34")
    Height 5cm from tip - 27mm (1")
    So far, this is my favorite of the knives I've made. The design and execution pretty much went flawlessly.

Blade: W2 from Aldo Bruno.
    Spine thickness is 2.16mm above the heel, 2.02mm midblade, and .58mm 1cm from the tip.
    Widest part of the blade is about 1cm below the spine. Thickness there is 2.31mm over the heel, 2.11 midblade, and 1.40 5cm from the tip.
    Thickness 1cm above the edge is .94mm above the heel, .98mm midblade, and .58mm 1cm from the tip.
    I'm pretty happy with this blade overall. Its my first 'tall' blade at 50mm on the heel, and cuts as well as anything I've handled. This blade is very stiff for the thickness due to the overall geometry I designed in. The food release, at least in the cutting I did before finalizing the edge...was ok. I wouldn't call it great by any means. I'm looking forward to feedback from the new owner (professional chef) in order to determine whether improvements are necessary. Things like food release can be pretty subjective, and I always try to be my own worst critic.

Handle: Stabilized buckeye burl, water buffalo horn, and and nickel silver.
    Length - 142mm (4.73")
    Ferrule, width x height - 19.2mm x 20.8mm
    Butt, width x height - 23.5mm x 24.2mm (1.013"x1.020")
    This is my 5th handle, and I'm happy to say my process is working out pretty well in my opinion. I tend to prefer my handles to be longer aesthetically, and its a constant fight with blade balance for me lol. This one could probably stand to be a half inch shorter, which would shift the balance point at least another half inch forward, maybe more.

As always, comments and critique are not only welcome...but absolutely appreciated!

2. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Looks great. Let me know if you ever plan to do a shorter (160-180mm) kind of piece. With your handles and balance issues, it might be tricky to get just right, but the style is very cool.

3. I've actually got a 150mm Honesuki order to fill shortly, and it'll be posted up here also. What I'm trying to do now is work three blades at a time. One custom order, and two stock blades. I'll probably do a shorter stock blade with each run. So far, the only 150mm blade I've done was a petty to match the gyuto I made for my dad last Father's day:

[​IMG]

It turned out quite well in my opinion...although I wasn't positive how to go about sizing the handle (I hadn't been on any kitchen knife forums at that time). I honestly think he likes it more than the gyuto, lol.