1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice is welcome

Discussion in 'Tristone Bladesmithing' started by Chadd Smith, Oct 2, 2015.

1. G'day,

I just thought I would put this out there, as I am a new and inexperienced maker in comparison to the wealth of knowledge and years others in this forum posses. If any of my knives, in any aspect have things on them that could do with improvement, or if you have questions as to why I did things a certain way I would appreciate them being asked or the advice given.

I have developed my own HT methods which are not anything special, however this is a constantly evolving process and I am always looking for improvement. If anyone is able to offer advice in this area do no hesitate to do so.

As you may also have noticed, I call nearly everything a Gyuto, as I honestly have very little idea about what makes what different. Gyuto, Santoku, Ko-Gyuto, funayuki etc. All similar-ish to me however not to the trained eye.

Whilst I will be making my own Dr. Google enquiries to address my lack of knowledge, if you see any of my knives labelled incorrectly, once again let me know.

Cheers,

Chadd

2. Your knives look good. And your steel HT experience/experimenting is interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I did the same backwards angled choil on some knives and found it a little difficult to get used to, I cut myself a couple of times because that edge was farther back than expected. I use that corner for small stuff like grabbing the peel on garlic cloves. That would be the only thing feedback wise maybe. Not that should be giving any :) I'm also quite "fresh" in knifemaking.

Your handles are looking good, very crisp and symmetrical.

3. Burl Source

Burl Source Founding Member

Hi Chad
    This page might help some. Probably every type of Japanese kitchen knife is shown here. Some of the knife names sound like the names of characters on my grandchildren's video games.
    Japanese Kitchen Knife Types And Styles

4. Haven't seen your knives alive yet (have you got any customers from Russia already?), but the only thing that I don't like on the pictures, is the one that Robin mentioned: shape of the choil. I have tried 2-3 knives with such a choil and they weren't comfortable and I cut my hands few times with them.