1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

A little TLC for a Cheapie 8 inch beater

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by roaduck, Nov 15, 2023.

1. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A chefie friend gave me a Chinese budget knife that was mis-ground and abused so I had a little go at it when I had the spare time just to get it functional again.It was going to go in the bin so I thought sod it - sort it out for the junior chefs to use at the restaurant.
    Originally it was a Sowoll brand 8 inch sashimi in a high carbon stainless at HRC-58 and had a narrow bezel on one side - I reground it to make it wider. I also unbranded it by polishing the laser etching off it using just a #1000 grit diamond whetstone - nothing else.
    Because I had to remove about a sixteenth of an inch thick of metal - it took months to do and loads of patience.
    Also it looks like somebody had a serious go on the back of the blade with an electric grinder which is usually deadly for a single bezel knife but I managed to sort it out eventually.It was about 1/6th of an inch thick and 7 ounces so not terrible quality for a $11 knife.
    Not pretty but it`s usable at least.I could refine it more with polishing but it`s not worth the time and trouble really because it has permanent scars from being mistreated and probably will be again.At least it had a second chance to be functional.
    It was just like stroking a cat - I love sharpening allsorts of things